Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rudder Post Repairs

Hauled out yesterday to do the bottom as well as other tasks on my new to me 46C. One of those tasks was to replace the rudder bearings. They were loose on the sea trial and began leaking shortly thereafter. Tightening the packing would stop it until I went on a trip. Dropped the port rudder today and was expecting a 4" (one half) cutless bearing to remove but it was only 2". It appears that is the depth of the socket for the bearing and it opens up above that for the packing.

I was cleaning up the rudder post and noticed what appeared to be a crack in the shaft so I hit it lightly with a wire wheel to remove the black crud. When I did a chunk of metal flew off so I went a little deeper. It appears the crack is in the outer metal which is bronze or copper colored but does not go into the deeper metal which appears to be brass. I am curious if a copper sleeve was made for this rudder post to repair it in the past. The picture below should explain.

I read some posts on here mentioning these things could be built back and machined or sleeved. I am hoping I can have something like that done as it looks like a new rudder is about 4 grand. I plan to pull the other one later this week and hope it doesn't have this condition. Anyone dealt with this in the past have any tips or have a recommendation on a machine shop in the Tampa area that can repair this?

Re: Rudder Post Repairs

Contact Renovators Yacht in St Pete. Ask for Gary. If he can't fabricate what you need he knows who can.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks for the info. I will reach out when I get this other one pulled

I dropped my rudders last year at the yard , I faced the same problems due to pitting on the shafts . I had the shafts replaced with stainless steel by Lauderdale Propeller . The cost was about $2600 for both which is better that paying $4000 each . Oddly enough, the bid to weld up the shafts and then turn them down to size was more expensive.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Jmooney were your original shafts brass or bronze? I think mine are cast.if so curious how they welded the two metals or connected them

Jmooney were your original shafts brass or bronze? I think mine are cast.if so curious how they welded the two metals or connected them

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    They were bronze . Stainless steel and bronze can’t be welded. But nibral can weld to both , that is what was used . The old shafts were cut off . The rudders were drilled . I think that a key of sort was used. It was welded with the nibral . In the photo, the shiny part near the top of the rudders is the ground weld .
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jmooney; 03-15-2023 at 02:15 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    They were bronze . Stainless steel and bronze can’t be welded. But nibral can weld to both , that is what was used . The old shafts were cut off . The rudders were drilled . I think that a key of sort was used. It was welded with the nibral . In the photo, the shiny part near the top of the rudders is the ground weld .
    Very interesting. That looks like a good fix

Dropped the starboard rudder today and discovered this definitely looks like a sleeve someone put on at one time or at least that what it looks like to me. This piece fell out with the rudder. The prior owner docks at the same yard and is coming by tomorrow. He has alot of contacts and thinks he knows someone locally who can repair. If not I will call Madhatter's contact. Hopefully this can be repaired and I don't have to buy two rudders. That would eat up more than my fuel money for the next year or more.

IMG_7101.jpg

Shaft sleeves for running surfaces are pretty common. They’re usually stainless though could be a dissimilar metal problem though. Google them they come in all size and thicknesses. It’s not a spinning shaft so not that critical you could probably get away with a composite material
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present