Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Battery Issues: Please help

Hi All...

I recently bought a 74 Hatteras 38 doubled cabin... it had been sitting for five years in a boat yard... The truck sized batteries were dead so I replaced them with the same type... also replaced obviously bad terminals going to the batteries...
    My question is:

- when I checked the "battery condition" from the panel... it read very very low... despite it being brand new batteries... my question is why does it read low? Or what could cause it to have a low discharge from "new" batteries?

Thanks

John
    -

-
    1974 Hatteras 38 Double CabinHull 3610474On the hard in Demopolis, ALAnd74 Hatteras 58 FishermanOn the hard in Demopolis, AL

Re: Battery Issues: Please help

Check them with a meter right at the battery terminals. Every Hatteras 12V gauge I have had reads low on a healthy battery.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Interesting.. that what I thought (that it might read low...)... it does read fully charge when I checked it.. ... so, do I not trust the gauge (battery condition) on the breaker panel??!!
    1974 Hatteras 38 Double CabinHull 3610474On the hard in Demopolis, ALAnd74 Hatteras 58 FishermanOn the hard in Demopolis, AL

Indeed use a meter on the battery terminals. The analog meter on the panel is old and the wiring probably has resistance.

These old analog meters aren’t precise. So glad I replaced all that with new Blue Seas multi function meters
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The Blue Seas meters are terrific, as said above. At the least, replace the old battery meter with a digital gauge.

Replacing the meters is a great idea... will do!!!!

I just replaced the battery monitoring system, the Xantrex LinkLite finally packed it in after probably 12-15 years. Fortunately Victron make a similar system in size and shape, so no new holes in the helm console.

The Victron unit is very well designed. It uses a battery wire to each bank, plus a phone cable from what I'd call a smart shunt to the display. That's it. We pulled a LOT of old wiring out of the boat, because I'd had two previous battery monitors before this one.

For the starting bank, it displays voltage, which is all you need. For the house bank, it gives you all the other information, too- AH used, etc.

I also have the Blue Seas meters which monitor the two incoming AC 120v lines- current, voltage, frequency, on each.

I stopped buying Xantrex gear a while back, but I have to admit the StatPower charger is still working. But I have a spare unit.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 03-15-2023 at 08:20 PM.