Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaft log repack

I’m thinking of replacing the packing in both shaft logs while I’m blocked up. My port side log/hose has a bit of a bulge and could have been over stuffed or over tightened. I have 2” shafts and think I read that I need 1/2” packing. On my previous boat I used the goretex packing and never had any issues so wondering what folks here recommend. Also any tips would be helpful.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Shaft log repack

replace the hose while she is out of the water
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

The Gore GFO is still, IMHO, the best thing out there. Just repacked mine with it again. BTW, I have a 58LRC, and I was told 3/8" packing for my 2" shafts. Not true. The correct size was 1/4" packing. You may want to climb back there and measure before buying packing. One tip: after cutting each piece to the correct length, I use a light wooden mallet to slightly flatten the packing strip. It fits much more easily into the opening between the shaft and the packing retainer.

My 1981 53 my takes half inch packing
    I have found Goretex very long lasting

I just repacked with Gortex , changed the hoses also as the shafts were out . The old Gortex packing was 19 years old, most looked like it was new . More importantly, the shafts looked great, no scoring, just very nicely polished where the packing touched. I have read that to tighten the stuffing boxes use an infrared thermometer and tighten until the stuffing box is 30 degrees warmer than the water temperature. Virtually dripless .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

We just repacked the rudder ports on my Hatteras. I got several different suggestions as to what the proper size packing was (it turned out to be 3.16")- I bought packing in all the possible sizes and just returned what I didn't end up using. Now, we'll see how we did when she goes back in.

Before I order my gfo packing I need to verify the size I need which requires a visit and I figure I’m gonna need to unbolt and pull back on the “stuffer” to get a good measurement vs measuring what’s already in place. Also is 2.5ft enough for both or just one side ? This is for my 2” shafts not rudders.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I just repacked with Gortex , changed the hoses also as the shafts were out . The old Gortex packing was 19 years old, most looked like it was new . More importantly, the shafts looked great, no scoring, just very nicely polished where the packing touched. I have read that to tighten the stuffing boxes use an infrared thermometer and tighten until the stuffing box is 30 degrees warmer than the water temperature. Virtually dripless .
    I had not heard of that. I will remember that. I am pretty sure my packing is Gortex and I have learned the hard way not to overtighten on the initial break in period. Now I just barely snug it up and run the boat. Then when not underway periodically slightly tighten till the drip rate is about right. Go easy on the initial tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Before I order my gfo packing I need to verify the size I need which requires a visit and I figure I’m gonna need to unbolt and pull back on the “stuffer” to get a good measurement vs measuring what’s already in place. Also is 2.5ft enough for both or just one side ? This is for my 2” shafts not rudders.
    🍕D x4 rings per shaft
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    D x4 rings per shaft
    circumference of shaft not diameter

circumference=2πr=2×3.14×1=6.28 inches

so you will need 25.12 inches of packing per shaft if each shaft has 4 pieces

Last edited by Jims43DC; 03-29-2023 at 07:57 AM.
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI