Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Electrosea A/C Strainer - Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    What about a bromine tablet in the strainer basket? Would that help?
    Jim-

One of my neighbors does exactly that, but it only extends the periodicity of cleaning by about 25%. Plus one of my concerns is long term chemical interaction with the cupro-nickel in the heat exchangers and it's not exactly a "controlled" release with the tablet simply floating around in the strainer.

Electrosea seems to have all that covered in their FAQ page.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
    I swapped out the small (3/4 inch) groco Strainers with a 1 1/4 perko unit. Of course I had to adapt down to the appropriate hose sizes. But with the much larger cylinder I only have to clean every few months. Also I am a live aboard on the Fl gulf coast with plenty of fouling to deal with.
    Rob -

I already have a 1" inlet and just installed a 1-1/4" to allow a little fouling and get same flow as the 1". That's good suggestion as well.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Know quite a few people that have Electrosea's Clearline systen on their boats, Electrostrainer is their newest offering.
    My AC guy also told me they work great, he said "best thing for boats since the autopilot".
    He did say to make sure to Barnacle Bust everything so you're stating out with a clean system.
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a unit myself.
    My system was just cleaned and now is a good time to pull the trigger myself. good to hear there's some operating experience out there with similar results as I'm hearing.

Just struggling with the price point a bit.... it's basically $10K installed.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

In SoFl We don’t get barnacles in the hoses but small mussels. In addition to declaring with barnacle buster once a year, I often have to back flush the coils with pressured water every 2 - 3 months to get rid of those that get loose.

I have rigged the chillers on both my boat and the one I run so I can quickly back flush them one a time without shutting down the whole system. I also monitor coil temperatures with an IR gun sink can see which one is running hotter before it trips.

Can’t see spending 10k to save maybe an hour a month
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    In SoFl We don’t get barnacles in the hoses but small mussels. In addition to declaring with barnacle buster once a year, I often have to back flush the coils with pressured water every 2 - 3 months to get rid of those that get loose.

I have rigged the chillers on both my boat and the one I run so I can quickly back flush them one a time without shutting down the whole system. I also monitor coil temperatures with an IR gun sink can see which one is running hotter before it trips.

Can’t see spending 10k to save maybe an hour a month
    Here is SW FLA we seem to get it all... barnacles, mussels and the biogrowth. If it was only an hour a month, I wouldn't be thinking about it. However, for me, I have to basically disassemble the A/C RW header, flush out all the lines, flush out the coils on each of the five A/C units about every 4-6 weeks and then clean the strainer every 1-2 weeks in the summer. I also have to remove the strainer assembly bowl and clean it monthly. All this while lying on my stomach between the engine exhaust header and the water tank with my arms outstretched as fa as I can get them.

That usually amounts to 10-12 hours a month. I'd rather be doing other things with my time.

I've already broken two fittings doing this evolution which then takes a few more hours to repair.

I too have a manual built-in backflush system, but it's not keeping up with the veracity of the growth.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Wow… I d be ready to spend the $10k if I was in your shoes!! I forget how spoiled I am both with my 53 with excellent access to the chillers and pretty much everything else, as well as my “office” where I can stand in front of the three big chillers… and yes the ER itself has air conditioning
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Never heard of hit, never seen them.

Next haul out swap your intake covers for South Bay strainers. No more clogged strainers.
    Pascal do you still have your interior strainers? The 46C I now have has both these covers and standard interior perko type strainers. I thought you could do away with the basket types inside with these South Bay types

I am on the hard so now would be a good time to remove if I don't need them

No I got rid of the air con and main engine strainers. On my boat I put a new strainer for the gen and kept the shower head style outside intake cover. Nothing really makes it thru that

On the “office”, last haul out we put South Bay strainers on air con and water maker but left the original inside strainers in place. Haven’t had to open them since
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

No I got rid of the air con and main engine strainers. On my boat I put a new strainer for the gen and kept the shower head style outside intake cover. Nothing really makes it thru that

On the “office”, last haul out we put South Bay strainers on air con and water maker but left the original inside strainers in place. Haven’t had to open them since
    Getting rid of the strainers would be a big help in the smaller engine room of my 46C. I may remove them during this haul out since all of my covers are the South Bay type with the small holes in them. Would save alot of maintenance time too. Ditto on the Bromine mentioned above. I did this when living aboard and it helped keep my strainers clean. Suggest going to the plastic baskets though as the tablets tend to eat through the thin ss screen

You can't use just one bromine tablet and expect much result, I used to partially fill the strainer basket with them and that makes a huge difference. Also you can just get dehumidifiers and leave the a/c's off when you're not there, which will eliminate the growth entirely. I would not buy this system, you can get probably a few lifetime's supplies of bromine for the $10k this thing will cost.