Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Electrosea A/C Strainer - Experience?

Have only been in Florida waters for less than a year and am tired of cleaning my A/C strainer every couple weeks... or more.

Came across this product and was wondering if the claims meet the expectations in real life. It's pretty pricey at about $6850 for the just cost of the equipment for my 58LRC.

Sea Strainer System | Biofouling & Marine Growth Prevention | ElectroSea

Any experience out there?
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Re: Electrosea A/C Strainer - Experience?

When my pump ran 24/7 this due like substance grew in the filter basked clogging it up. Once I got my new pump controller and it cycled normally the growth went way down. Being a live aboard you end up running yours a lot. What about extra baskets you can swap out dropping the fouled one into a chlorine cleaning solution?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Never heard of hit, never seen them.

Next haul out swap your intake covers for South Bay strainers. No more clogged strainers.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm up the Manatee River and what I'm experiencing is biofouling exactly as described and shown here...

Innovative Sea Strainer | Marine Growth Prevention | ElectroSea

I
    hear it's a very common problem in these waters.

I don't "think" the South Bay External Strainer is going to stop the biofouling?
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    When my pump ran 24/7 this due like substance grew in the filter basked clogging it up. Once I got my new pump controller and it cycled normally the growth went way down. Being a live aboard you end up running yours a lot. What about extra baskets you can swap out dropping the fouled one into a chlorine cleaning solution?
    Madhatter -

Thanks for the suggestion... I do have spare baskets, but I still have to get into this very tight spot that's not maintenance friendly on a very frequent basis. You may have forgotten, but we don't live aboard and I keep the thermostats at around 76 degrees when not on the boat. With 5 A/C units and a single raw water pump that feeds a common header, the pump runs almost constantly as at least one of the units is always calling for cooling.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Gotcha. But the non stop fresh sea water is feeder for the growth. Wonder if a UV light and a clear tube could kill before growth. They are used in commercial AC units and we need them off before we open access panels. Dangerous stuff so may be a decent homemade option. Now that I mentioned it I may try this as in the summer I still get crap growing in the basket that sucks to clean off.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I swapped out the small (3/4 inch) groco Strainers with a 1 1/4 perko unit. Of course I had to adapt down to the appropriate hose sizes. But with the much larger cylinder I only have to clean every few months. Also I am a live aboard on the Fl gulf coast with plenty of fouling to deal with.

What about a bromine tablet in the strainer basket? Would that help?

Know quite a few people that have Electrosea's Clearline systen on their boats, Electrostrainer is their newest offering.
    My AC guy also told me they work great, he said "best thing for boats since the autopilot".
    He did say to make sure to Barnacle Bust everything so you're stating out with a clean system.
    Getting ready to pull the trigger on a unit myself.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

We don’t get anything like that on the east coast. Wonder if it’s related to the red tide the west coast gets. I’ve seen silt and weeds in the strainer but never algae or growth it takes light do grow plants. If you leave your er lights on maybe cover the strainer glass to cut the light.

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    I'm up the Manatee River and what I'm experiencing is biofouling exactly as described and shown here...

Innovative Sea Strainer | Marine Growth Prevention | ElectroSea

I
    hear it's a very common problem in these waters.

I don't "think" the South Bay External Strainer is going to stop the biofouling?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present