Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Electrosea A/C Strainer - Experience?

I used to put about ten bromine tablets in my 70s strainers when I had it in Cape Coral. The problem is that with the units running they don't last all that long. They do help allot while they last though! I ended up turning off the AC during the summer when I wasn't using the boat and ran dehumidifiers in the boat that drained overboard. One forward, one aft in the master and one in the kitchen. Worked great and cut the electric bill allot!

I'm also on the Manatee river and have similar AC issues. I replaced all internal strainers (except gen-set) with South Bays a few years ago. I'm very happy with their performance, but like JD I get growth (muscles and slime) in the AC unit that runs a lot. I made a rig to back flush the through-hull and external stringer with muriatic acid. It works well but is troublesome to do. I purchased a peristaltic pump a few months ago with plans to install it for a trickle feed of chlorine or acid at the through hull, but haven't done so yet.

I had back flush two of 3 chillers yesterday that were both tripping. I had set up some tees after the shutoff valves on both inlet and outlet hoses so I can quickly back flush one chiller at a time when the other(s) are still cooling the boat. As usual, I got a bunch of small shells which were blocking flow at the coil inlets. I just use fresh water but the pressure helps. I got it down to about 10 minutes now…

I try not to run barnacle buster more than twice a year
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat