Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

435 hp 4208 Cats in a Cabo 35

My nephew is looking at buying a mid 1990s Cabo with 435 hp Cats 2500+ hours. He asked what his Hatteras owning uncle thought about the boat. I said I’d check.
    Insight appreciated. Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: 435 hp 4208 Cats in a Cabo 35

Those are the higher output version of the 3208’s so it depends on how hard they were run. Not a sleeved engine so more costly to rebuild. As everyone on here always says get a good survey!!!
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

My son bought a '96 35 Cabo with 3208 435 HP, and as Scarlett said above get a good engine surveyor that is expert in these older 3208 engines.
    The 435 HP don't have longevity of lower HP 3208's. Needless to say my son did his due diligence, hired a hull surveyor and engine mechanic, end of short story catastrophic engine failure on trip from Boston to NJ
    Required rebuilt engine and a difficult pill to swallow. So be carefull

I personally owned a slightly newer 35 Cabo, 2006 with Cummins QSC 540HP.
    Absolutely great engines and great engine boat combination. Cabo quality is comparable to Hatteras as I owned 5 Hat's
    If he can find that Cummins combo will be much better off.
    However with all marine engines the after coolers and heat exchanges must be regularly & properly serviced.

Good luck

Roger

They have some age on them but not really that many hours, however the biggest thing is how hard were they ran.
    I have some 1966 Detroits that run perfect. No issues. But the 2 owners before me did their preventative maintenance and didn't push the engines to their limits.
    A good engine survey is not cheap, but it is cheaper than an overhaul or replacement.

Reading this thread, I would hold out for a 35 with the Cummins engines. At 435 hp, I think 3208s are wound up pretty tight.

Once upon a time, I really wanted a Wellcraft Portofino. Different chapter..., Anyway, walked from one with same engines with similar hours. Heard many stories about failures and being high strung. A year later, the same boat was half price and in need of rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Reading this thread, I would hold out for a 35 with the Cummins engines. At 435 hp, I think 3208s are wound up pretty tight.
    100% agree with Jim

Thanks for the good advice. I shared it with my nephew. He had the boat surveyed... not sure the extent of the engine survey. He was satisfied and bought the boat. I've since looked at the boat and like it. Time will tell regarding the engines.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956