Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine paint

Engine paint

Well, thanks to searching the posts on this forum, I learned I should paint my engines with Rustoleum Canvas White.

And, this is spot on.

Here is a question, though… My engines are green underneath the white, but…

The white is an exceedingly thorough paint job.

Did Hatteras repaint the engines from green to white when they built the boat?
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Re: Engine paint

They start out green when they are new and slowly turn white as you replace parts.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Once it's completely white, you can officially call it "rebuilt" in the For Sale ad
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Just finished painting ours. White is best to spot any type of leaks. IMO. Sky’s perfectly painted original gray should also be easy to spot. So a matter of opinion. Just restarting out clean and painted is a maintenance game changer.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I’ve always heard that prep is the most important part of painting. How do you prep a Detroit for paint?
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentc View Post
    I’ve always heard that prep is the most important part of painting. How do you prep a Detroit for paint?
    Lets just say that it better be oil based engine paint. Maybe if you left the engines off for 10 or 15 years.

I've painted my 1963 6V53s several times. For prep I use low-odor mineral spirits in a plastic pump-spray bottle and put sorbent pads under the engine. The mineral sprits removes the oil quickly and dries quickly. Its flash point is high enough not to be a problem and the bilge blowers keep the odor down. Let the mineral spirts dry and scrape any peeling paint, then spray those spots again with mineral spirits. The objective is to start at the top and rinse the oily residue downwards. Brush prime any bare spots with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. Let that dry for 24 hours and paint with white Rustoleum. I use a small disposable brushes on the block and small areas and larger disposable brushes on larger areas. Components that can be removed like valve covers and intake silencers can be sprayed off the boat with Rustoleum.
    Partially painted engine below.
    Attached Images

That looks great, attempting the same thing, pretty much.

Thanks for the info!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

That does look good. Thanks for the tip.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Did you use a brush or spray ?