Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for Ships Clock suggestions

I have an empty hole to fill above the lower helm.

It's roughly a 5" diameter holes. I assume is was for either a ships clock or barometer.

I would like to fill the hole with something that looks nice.

Looking for suggestions and if anyone has a clock or barometer to sell that might fit.

I'm sort of thinking a vintage hand wind clock.

Does anyone have a nice one for sale?
    I don't want to spend a fortune. (I would like to keep it under $300) Something that needs a little restoration would be o.k. and make it a fun project!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Looking for Ships Clock suggestions

I have owned several Chelsea matching Ship Strike clocks and barometers over the years, no thanks burglars. www.chelseaclock.com They look great, come polished and lacquered for seaside durability. I like the clock striking the nautical hours. My present one has a quartz movement using a plastic works from Germany, has worked for at least 10 years, quite accurate, but not perhaps worth the money. It seems discontinued now. Earlier hand wound models were not as accurate, particularly noticeable when the chime is not precise.

In checking these out for you I was surprised to see the prices have increased astronomically from my long ago purchases. Chelsea's cases are beautiful and do qualify as an heirloom. I would look for one used. Their matching barometers are also beautiful but have not performed at all well for me. And, unlike a clock, these are not right twice a day. I was reminded of their repair services so may send mine in again for another try.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 03-03-2023 at 09:44 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Chelsea. It's not even a close comparison, they last forever and almost never break. Everything else out there is 50% the quality for not that much less on the price.

Don’t buy Weems and Plath, cheap Chinese movement and crappy customer service when it fails.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

No clock. Just build a small box behind it, frame the opening and place an engraved sign above it that says DONATIONS. It will never break and will never need to be emptied.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    No clock. Just build a small box behind it, frame the opening and place an engraved sign above it that says DONATIONS. It will never break and will never need to be emptied.
    Made my day. Lol
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have a 1970's Seth Thomas. It still works great. My dad bought it in 1975 when he purchased a new 36' Gulfstar Trawler. He had it on every boat thereafter and I got it when he passed and its now on my boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We had Chelsea's as well. Eventually they had to be buffed out and polished but we enjoyed the ship's strike.
    It could possibly be mounted through the whole from the back after pulling the front/hinge off and replacing after installation. Either that or spring for the larger one to cover the hole.

Chelsea Clock Ship's Bell Clocks and Barometers
    Regards
    Dan

My Seth Thomas during one of the last hurricanes here hitting the bottom of the glass
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    LOL true story!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name