Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Garmin Autopilot - GPS - Cortex AIS

Last year my middle son took an interest in running my boat. Quickly, I realized the 1985 Robertson Autopilot and circa 2000 Raytheon C120 were major barriers to his development. So I decided to "go new" for my last ten years of boating.

I posted several threads on these topics and thank everyone for advice. The advice on the forum was better than the advice from local Tampa electronics people who seemed to know less and were not comfortable working on an older boat. A recurring theme from Forum members was to speak with Scott Bidwick. I did, and we quickly refined the scope of work and purchased Garmin Autopilot, GPS, and Cortex AIS.

Yesterday, Scott completed the install and sea trial. Everything worked as discussed and I could not be happier with the functionality of a 30 year technology leap. The final invoice was well within what we discussed and more than fair given 4-5 hours travel each way for three trips with two super quality guys working. Scott also counseled my inverter tech and improved that system while they were both aboard. Old boats need lengthy visits by guys like Scott that have seen a few things.

If you are considering an electronics upgrade or inverter installation, consult the forum and give Scott a listen.

We are off to the Exumas today

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Garmin Autopilot - GPS - Cortex AIS

Interesting comment For my last 10 years of boating
    At what age does one have to give up
    I am approaching 77 and still enjoy everything to do with my 53

Re: Garmin Autopilot - GPS - Cortex AIS

Well first off have a great trip. I love your boat with the cockpit and I hope you stay in the Exumas till
    May so I could have a chance of running into you and your boat in person.

Second, I like hearing about the good experiences people have with contractors. Seems the prevailing thought amongst a lot of boaters
    Is how they feel overcharged. Most people have no idea how much it cost to run a business and make
    A profit and think the only costs are what they see at the job.

Now for the biggie. I read the part about the last 10 years of boating and knew that would attract some
    Attention. I did similar on another forum and it generated alot of comments. I am 58 and I think in terms
    Similar to you about 10 years left. I have a buddy who was in his lower 80s and running a 63 Hatt
    Cockpit MY and towing a 28 tender. He was very competent and an inspiration. On the other hand
    I have seen some older helmsmen doing some damage and scaring the hell out of people. I am getting out
    Before I start doing that. As I have seen both of my parents and my wife’s parents deal with
    Dementia I have come to the conclusion that modern medicine has increased our life span at the
    Expense of quality of life. I am not putting my loved ones through it. So I measure my life span in
    Quality and not quantity. I realize some/most will not agree and didn’t intend this post to be lecture on
    How my opinion on the matter is correct. Awaiting others opinions.