Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yacht world

Yacht world

Is it me or is the Yachtworld site wonky and glitchy? For me it’s slow and non responsive. I view it on my iPad, which is up to date on the updates so I don’t get it! Very frustrating and wondering if anyone else has this issue.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Re: Yacht world

I have experienced the same on my IPAD.

3. Re: Yacht world

Yachtworld cares neither for its audience, or it’s paying customers.
    Last edited by Retired1; 03-02-2023 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    Yachtworld cares neither for its audience, or it’s paying customers.
    As a paying customer - yes indeed. The quality of the site declines as the membership fee skyrockets.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I have been trying to contact brokers through Yachtworld with 50% replies. I have started emailing the brokers through their own websites. Even the search function has declined over over the years. I find the app even worse to use.

Walt Hoover

On a Mac, impossible to view pictures. They flash and reload and jump around for the first few and then just won’t load.

Works much better on my phone, photos are fine, but it seems the there is less info in the app.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Maybe it’s time for capitalism to take over! Eric, maybe you should launch a site that is superior and doesn’t glitch. I bet you could walk away with the business.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

I’ve noticed the same and it’s definitely gotten worse
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

9. Re: Yacht world

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Maybe it’s time for capitalism to take over! Eric, maybe you should launch a site that is superior and doesn’t glitch. I bet you could walk away with the business.
    Funny that you mentioned that, because in 2019 the Russian fellow that had once owned Boat Quest-the biggest online competitor to YW called me to tell me that his ten year Non Compete had expired. Yeah, he once said he would never sell, but so much money was dangled at him, he sold it, and they promptly crashed it to kill off their competition. Anyway it had expired, his IT guy in India was still available, and could all be started “with the flip of a switch “. So he came to visit with me in Fort Pierce, and we discussed the possibility of restarting it. We could had offered more services than YW for only $200.00 a month vs YW $800.00 - UP Per month. I’ll be happy to give you his phone number if you like.

what we discovered was that hundreds , if not thousands of brokers who once were subscribers had either retired, died, or were swallowed up by Marine Max, Dennison, etc. I even called Judy Waldman up, because I thought for sure she would be interested, as she was working at Dennison because her overhead (mostly Yacht World) was so high. She was at a boat show and didn’t have time to talk. I called another guy who used to run Sunseeker Club of NY, who was a go getter but he was sick with Lyme disease (and has since passed).

Real quick, I realized I have no interest in this, and my friend said that “actually I’m enjoying dirt biking around the planet (and had his bike mounted on the back of his Toyota TRD to prove it) and he had me show him a couple of sailboats here. He bought a catamaran in Ct., and went sailing. I should mention that he still had many active sites that were geared to car dealers, so losing boats is no big deal in the scheme of things.
    I enjoy my mountain biking and just yesterday told the wife how much more I enjoy it now that I’m not being constantly interrupted by phone calls out in the woods.

So, it CAN be done, but the math vs time required is no longer worth it. The sales people today seem to be happy not being hustlers.

I succeeded so well after dropping YW in 2008 solely because I already had a huge internet following due to my domain names. I discovered that 90% of my buyers had never even heard of YW, as they just typed in what they sought into their browser, and my name came up at the top. I had a site that answered every question they had, I answered the phone at 3am (because it was day time in Australia and New Zealand. I had plenty of happy customers as references who I happily gave them their phone numbers. I totally didn’t need Yacht World.Fk em.. I save a lot of money (didn’t have health insurance either, nor did I insure any of my boats. Had a 4788 stolen one morning, I tracked it down the same day, and made the thief a addition to my Rolodex under “Miami River boat yard owner with muy grande cajones”) without all that useless overhead.
    Those buyers not only didn’t come inspect boats, they wired me their entire upper budget limit, which made ME a cash buyer who could close immediately. THAT dropped prices. Kept the paperwork in my business name til the moment they were loaded on the ship, which eliminated all the Customs requirements for reporting “port to port”movements for foreign owners. I wired them their leftovers afterwards. Only American guys active in the 70’s understand this is how it was done if you wish to stay alive.
    Good decades, no boat shows since 1997. Yay Internet. Type “Blake Davis Yachts” and I still come up number one despite retiring in 2019.
    Last edited by Retired1; 03-04-2023 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    I'm too old to slay that dragon. We need Brad Parker's non-compete to expire (he started yachtcloser). He has the vision and talent to do this. When he was set to do it a few years ago, boatsgroup bought him to prevent the competition from putting them under.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"