Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fort Myers - Sanibel - Miserable Mile - Hurricane Ian

I am heading south from Tampa to Exumas this week and weather may drive me inside.

Does anyone have local knowledge of the ICW route through the Miserable Mile and under the Sanibel causeway to the Gulf?

Did Ian change the charted route?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext)
    Tampa

Re: Fort Myers - Sanibel - Miserable Mile - Hurricane Ian

Bruce,

I'm in Punta Gorda and have been through that area 4-5 times. I have not been through since IAN, so can't say if things have become better or worse.

I can tell you that pass is very narrow and very shallow on each side - so pay close attention when transiting. Claim the center, watch your sounder carefully and go slow. I draw 5'10" and haven't touched bottom on any of my passes through that area.

The bridge is no issue and will put you out right at the mouth of the Caloosahatche River

Give the local TowBoat US and/or Sea Tow a ring. In my experience, they have always provided good local knowledge. Some of them have even posted local trouble spots on-line. Safe passage to the Exuma’s….enjoyed our trip there last year, cant wait to do it again!
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Be aware of the Stuart bridge closure dates for the trip back.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP