Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1977 53MY Punta Gorda Fl

This is my first post, so please be kind as to my errors. I saw the post regarding the 58MY in Stuart. So it appears many of you keep your eyes on the market. Have been looking for a 53MY for a while and today viewed a 1977 53MY in Punta Gorda. I am sure you all have seen it on yacht world. It showed better than the photos. But as stated in the description, the starboard is "hydra locked". I would be grateful for a reference to a good DD old timer in that area. I welcome all comments.

Re: 1977 53MY Punta Gorda Fl

I'm in Punta Gorda and know of a good DD mechanic. Unfortunately he is out of town for about 2 months and expected back in April. If you haven't found another guy by then, let me know.

Thank you so much zigzag....will do!

Detroit Diesel Ft Meyers Fl ask for Charlie Hayman he’s the man on the older Detroits!

If you buy that boat, don't assume you're going to stroke a check and it'll be done in a month. With the supply chain shortages, I know a bunch of people who've been waiting on backordered engine parts for months. All different brands, not just detroits. It's a problem. When I rebuilt my 8v71's last year, everything was available off the shelf. The next guy down the line on this forum couldn't find turbos 2 months later, so YMMV. It's kind of a crap shoot these days. Hopefully everything goes back to normal soon as the backlog gets satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaf View Post
    This is my first post, so please be kind as to my errors. I saw the post regarding the 58MY in Stuart. So it appears many of you keep your eyes on the market. Have been looking for a 53MY for a while and today viewed a 1977 53MY in Punta Gorda. I am sure you all have seen it on yacht world. It showed better than the photos. But as stated in the description, the starboard is "hydra locked". I would be grateful for a reference to a good DD old timer in that area. I welcome all comments.
    Welcome, you will love this forum
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

northshoreone,Thank you so much...we have committed to the initial survey, but when it comes time for work, we will look Charlie up.cww,Thank you so much for your candor. We understand there are currently difficulties in parts supply. But we never assumed writing the check would be the end...it is only the beginning. We would appreciate any assistance finding parts from anybody on the forum if, probably when, needed. Advance thanks to all!SEVEN,Thank you! This is my first time on a forum, but have been reading so many posts. I can see it is a gold mine. I hope someday to contribute as well as benefit.

We did not buy the 53 from Punta Gorda, but after still more searching and too many scorching trips to Florida, we did purchase a 1983 53MY out of Ft. Lauderdale. We took possession in July and spent until late September bringing her home to the Keweenaw. Just in time to head back to Cheboygan to put her up for the winter. It was the best of times...it was the worst of times. The broker was less than honest and turned on us as soon as documents were signed. That is what we got for not bringing our own. If you use Reel Deal Yachts, beware! It was the best of times....Jim Brown from On Site Deisel was amazing and brought the 871s back to life! His team kept working even though the broker cut shore power as the temps hovered at 3 digits. The gentleman from Lauderdale Battery was so very kind and helped us out when we needed new battery banks quickly. Then we spent several lovely days at Cape Canaveral with Scott Bidwick and his limber, able bodied assistant Rafael. They provided so much general information while installing our radar and TZTouch. He even helped us track down an anchor after we had been all over Ft. Lauderdale with none in sight. Then back to the worst of times...we had to let the captain we hired go in Norfolk...the captain we wanted was not available, so we hired a referral with a glowing CV. Hiring him was the biggest mistake......so far. But we made it home with well rubbed rails. Thank you all for the information in these threads. I search them during my incessant questions, and more often than not find an answer, or several, sometimes opposing...but all helpful. I apologize that at this point we do not have much to add, so in the huge learning curve stage. Perhaps someday....Prior to leaving Florida, as stated above we had all the engine work finished, new batteries installed and updated electronics. The next huge project is the bottom. According to our bottom survey, the bottom is "fair" with various osmotic blisters. I have read everything I can find and realize that for the most part, they are cosmetic. We have her in heated storage and requested a quote from their service department for a bottom job. They are having difficulty giving quotes for a few other items we asked to have quoted saying that with the salt water history it is very difficult to guarantee any quotes. The first verbal quote for the bottom was $60,000. Then after some discussion, it was between $35,000 and $40,000. We still do not have a firm number, and unless we are willing to keep her on the hard until August, we will have to wait until next year anyway. My biggest concern is that they want to peel the hull due to the blisters. Everything I have read indicates that this is an extreme measure. I know this has been discussed quite a bit, but advice from this experiences group would be greatly appreciated. I cannot seem to get the photos out of the survey, so I will try to attach it. Many thanks in advance!

I cannot seem to upload photos or the report. The report is too big and I keep getting a message that I do not have permission to upload the photos. Sorry

Congrats! Hope to see pics of the boat and bottom blisters soon.