Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 58 lrc

58 lrc

Someone on the Trawler Forum told me this is where the brain trust is for old Hatteras'. Hoping to find some owners who can offer some insight on a couple of issues.

Has anyone replaced the flybridge ladder with a stairway? This is the one design feature of this beautiful boat that doesn't work for us (dogs and old folks), but it looks like one that might be fixed. My thought would be to make room for the stairway by moving the day head aft a couple of feet utilizing the closet space adjacent to the salon. The starboard fixed and sliding windows would probably have to be relocated to correspond with the new spaces. The big hurdle might be removing a portion of the bulkhead to accommodate the larger opening for the stairway. The aft bulkhead in the pilothouse looks like a major structural element for the house and flybridge, so I'm not sure if this would be feasible. Did these boats come with structural drawings/might Hatteras be a resource for design work on an old boat/would a marine architect be needed? I've attached a picture of the flybridge ladder along with a picture of a simple stair and hatch on a 60 Jefferson that illustrates what I have in mind.

My other question is regarding engine choice. Unfortunately the owners I've talked with like what they've got - the 4 cylinder folks like the efficiency and don't want for additional power while the 6 cylinder folks like the smoothness and extra power/torque. I'm thinking it probably doesn't matter? Does anyone know if the two engines are geared and/or propped differently? I could see where taller gearing or larger props on the 6-71s might make a difference, but if the running gear is the same I'm not sure if the added power would translate from a performance standpoint.

I'll appreciate any thoughts.IMG_3383.jpgIMG_3384.jpgIMG_3386.jpg

Re: 58 lrc

On a displacement hull like a 58 LRC, especially a boat so large and heavy, I doubt that having 6-71s would give you any performance advantage. The advantage of DDs in that boat, either fours or sixes, is their reliability and relative economy. I don't know what the hull speed of the 58LRC is, but I'm sure she'll plod along at that speed for days on end, burning very little fuel.

As to the ladder/staircase question, I think that would be relatively easy to do compared to some of the comprehensive remodels other people on this forum have carried out. A staircase would certainly help the humans. I don't know about the dogs.

Being a Hatteras I doubt opening up and larger hole for stairs is going to be a structural issue especially if you a support between the new stairs and the door opening. Yes it would be a nice modification although most dogs may still have issue and the stairs will have to be steeper than standard anyway.

Looking at the picture, cutting into what seems to be a closet seem to be enough. Is the day head just aft of the closet? You may not have to touch it.

As to the engines, the LRC hull is a displacement hull, isn’t it? Not going to know much faster no matter what. A little more torque is nice when docking but nothing a bump in RPM cant fix. You would probably have to upsize the shafts which will mean new struts and log boxes. Have a good prop shop run the numbers and calculate the shaft safety factor. I doubt it’s worth it unless your existing engines are done. In that case I d probably go with a set of factory reman B-series instead of 6-71s
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Unfortunately the day head is immediately abaft the ladder, so moving it would be a necessity. Another option would be a stairway from the aft deck to the bridge deck, but this would significantly reduce the usable space of that fairly small aft deck.

I wouldn’t get rid of the day head as some people have done to make stairs . The usual reason is to make the galley full width. The stairs you show are still pretty steep. My ninety year old mother in law could make it up our ladder without much difficulty. Unfortunately our grand dog can’t, so I know your plight. I would choose 6-71s , if you had a choice, mainly for docking. But if a nicely maintained lrc had 4-71s I wouldn’t pass it up. You might find a lrc without the dayhead , pretty rare though.
    Last edited by jmooney; 02-08-2023 at 03:01 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Similar to half or hidden facilities in a house, under a stair case in commonly used.
    The ships stair upgrades can cut into the overhead if the day-head layout is accommodating.

In your opening statement, you may have hit it;
    Your not looking for more HP over the 4-71. The hull won't take it and just waist the over power.
    Your hull speed will stay the same.
    6-71 are smother. Idle nicer. Quicker recovery at idle during docking maneuvers. Can push air compressors, stabilizers, extra alternators lots easier.
    With small injectors, will out live most of us.
    Comparing two LRCs side side with 4-71 to 6-71, I would shop for the 6. Even if it took more to mod the staircase.

Now, How big of puppies??
    Dumb waiters work well.
    An elevator works for all.

I luv spending other people money..

Ralph, can 4-71s or 6-71s be overhauled in place, in a 58LRC? Or do they have to be craned out for a major overhaul? I have not been on one of those boats in a very long time.

Detroit made way more 6/71 than 4/71 even though many parts are common I’d opt for 6/71. I thou the 4’s were 53 series or was that in the 42lrc?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Ralph, can 4-71s or 6-71s be overhauled in place, in a 58LRC? Or do they have to be craned out for a major overhaul? I have not been on one of those boats in a very long time.
    Based on the 58LRC with 6-71s I was onboard; rebuilding in that full beam, stand up engine room would be a breeze.

Yes, I have heard most DD's on 58LRC's are rebuilt in place