Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Low voltage from 120 side

One of my dock mates just sold his sail boat that had Ocean Breeze a/c's on it.
    He owns an HVAC business where we live so his issues were not hard for him to find.
    His biggest complaint about Ocean Breeze was some of the connections in the control box and the compressor were crappy kind of wire clamps called "tap to wire" or something like that. Small utility trailers have those same clamp on connectors instead of butt splices, and they will eventually fail.
    Be sure to check out every connector on the Ocean Breeze systems, especially the one that has a fan issue.

I am in the market to swap from a split unit to a self contained unit in my salon to make room in the engine room. I sent a message about the physical size of the Ocean Breeze low profile unit I need and sent them the size of the space I needed to install it. They returned an email stating the size of the standard unit. After 3 tries, I gave up. They will not tell me the size of the low profile unit and it isn't on their website.

Enough is enough. It’s time to bring someone on board, too many concerning discoveries that I feel comes back to this. Yesterday I realized the 2 under counter fluorescent lights in the galley are putting off significant heat, the light on the microwave is untouchable after being on for a few minutes. I’m in Jupiter if anyone has a recommendation.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

I took some advise and replaced the microwave with lower wattage bulbs and under counter fluorescent lights with LED. Despite these changes the new fixtures still feel excessively warm and other factory lighting that remains is untouchable after a few minutes of use. Since moving to a new marina we’ve had consistent 118/119v from the tower and throughout the vessel. Thoughts (other than the obvious that it’s a fire hazard) on causes of the excessive heat from the 120 side?

Is this the transformer others have been looking for? In a galley cabinet?
    Attached Images

What do you have in the fixtures that feel hot? Incandescent or LED? Fixture will feel hit with incandescent / halogens.

Some LEDs also emit some heat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you loose neutral voltage will swing high/low based on actual load and can cook motors, lighting, etc. Somehow the 208-240 whatever the source Is floats whenever neutral cannot be referenced. I don’t know how that works but know it to be true.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Is this the transformer others have been looking for? In a galley cabinet?
    I believe that to be a knock down transformer for your lights.
    Not the ships service transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    What do you have in the fixtures that feel hot? Incandescent or LED? Fixture will feel hit with incandescent / halogens. Some LEDs also emit some heat.
    I replaced the microwave incan 40w to a 20w and replaced fluorescent units with LED under the cabinets. The incan lights at the head of the master berth get so hot you can smell the dust burning from the bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    I replaced the microwave incan 40w to a 20w and replaced fluorescent units with LED under the cabinets. The incan lights at the head of the master berth get so hot you can smell the dust burning from the bulbs.
    Are they 120 or 32v? First thing to check is the actual voltage at the sockets and also that you have the right bulbs. 24vdc bulbs may not blow on 32 v but will be hot.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

reviving this thread to try to keep like topics together. We have ordered new lights for all the units that were putting off excessive heat.

We have also decided to upgrade our shorepower system to include adding breakers. Interested in where and how some have installed. My 55c has a single 125/250 50amp to port and a 50 amp 125 as well as 50 amp 125/250 to starboard. I've read the arguments regarding the shoreline fuses and will entertain keeping them and adding breakers BUT one of my starboard fuse housings is badly burnt and needs to be replaced or eliminated. Before anyone asks, no the burnt housing isn't new, no we haven't been using that inlet, and no the second fuse housing has no signs of overheating.