Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Low voltage from 120 side

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    What are you using to measure the voltage? Just the panel meters?
    This is what I was going to ask. If onboard meter is reading wrong you may be chasing down nothing. Get a meter or better yet someone with a meter that knows how to use it. It's super important and necessary. Isupport 10 guys in the field. If one calls me with a question and I say meter whatever and they say I have to get my meter I hang up on them. Not to be really a dick (although granted, it is a dick move) but more as a statement of don't ask for help without your most important tool in your hand. If you can't find someone for a favor hire a marine electrician for a couple hours.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    This is what I was going to ask. If onboard meter is reading wrong you may be chasing down nothing. Get a meter or better yet someone with a meter that knows how to use it. It's super important and necessary. Isupport 10 guys in the field. If one calls me with a question and I say meter whatever and they say I have to get my meter I hang up on them. Not to be really a dick (although granted, it is a dick move) but more as a statement of don't ask for help without your most important tool in your hand. If you can't find someone for a favor hire a marine electrician for a couple hours.
    All of my reading have been with a meter except yesterdays panel reading. Tower shows 122 off the 2 legs, at the panel from left to right in the pic 212/0/221/122/0
    Attached Images
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    All of my reading have been with a meter except yesterdays panel reading. Tower shows 122 off the 2 legs, at the panel from left to right in the pic 212/0/221/122/0
    Edit function sucks so I'll update this 122 off the legs but 212 across them.
    The correct voltages are 212/0/221/122/61

Red to black will be your high voltage, 205 to 230Vac.
    Black-white and red-white will be your 2, 110 to 120Vac legs.

Also, ensure your transformer (if equipped) boost is off.

How did you measure the voltages. From the picture it looks like the first are hots and you should have the same voltage across them that you have at the pedestal, around 240v

The next one seems to be white, Neutral. Between each hot that neutral you should find 120v, same as the pedestal.

Can’t quite see what the other 2 wires are. Typically with 120/240-50 shore power, you should have 2 hots and a neutral, plus ground which is not on a breaker

With an isolation transformer, the neutral from the pedestal isn’t connected as the transformer “makes” its own neutral.

I wonder if you have a problem at the transformer.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

This doesn’t make sense guys. This HVAC unit worked when they installed it, other than the 240v hot water heater EVERYTHING else works, including the (3) other 240v HVAC units. I’m not saying there’s no issue here but 1 AC unit stops working due to low voltage??

This doesn’t make sense guys. This HVAC unit worked when they installed it, other than the 240v hot water heater EVERYTHING else works, including the (3) other 240v HVAC units. I’m not saying there’s no issue here but 1 AC unit stops working due to low voltage??
    A/C units (SMX for example) have a AC LO or PR LO alarm in the program.
    These limits are adjustable at the operator panel.
    The AC unit is usually set to 230, later docks now provide 208Vac. The unit will error out and not work.
    The Later compressors work fine @ 200Vac.
    Pull out your manual and find the LO AC setup and adjust to a lower voltage.

The water heater is another beast. But, if any ACv is on the elements, it should get hot.
    There are pop out breakers on the later water heater thermo stats.

What part of the world is your boat hiding this month?
    Close to Jax or Daytona FL?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-15-2023 at 04:16 PM.

WTAF fellas. I started focusing attention on the HVAC When the controls are set to “cool” at a temp below the room temp the unit comes on, what is NOT coming on is the fan coil. This is an oceanbreeze issue, not the voltage on my vessel. I would love to continue trying to determine what IS going on with the voltage but this idiot from oceanbreeze has lead me down a rabbit hole

WTAF fellas. I started focusing attention on the HVAC When the controls are set to “cool” at a temp below the room temp the unit comes on, what is NOT coming on is the fan coil. This is an oceanbreeze issue, not the voltage on my vessel. I would love to continue trying to determine what IS going on with the voltage but this idiot from oceanbreeze has lead me down a rabbit hole
    Take a breath;
    Now, what is a fan coil?
    What started out as a low voltage from 120, is now an OcenBreeze problem ??

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Take a breath;
    Now, what is a fan coil?
    What started out as a low voltage from 120, is now an OcenBreeze problem ??
    4 new split units installed and the single 120v unit stopped working. Their "technician" came to the boat and said the unit wasn't getting 120v was the cause. As I've mentioned on here, it is the ONLY thing on this vessel inoperable other than the hot water heater which is getting replaced this week. I decided to check the voltage myself and found that the condenser unit comes on as it should but the fan coil unit in the galley isn't blowing. As I've also posted numerous times, this company has some seriously incompetent individuals attempting to keep it afloat. It's almost worth paying someone to do the warranty work rather than allowing them back on the boat.