Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Low voltage from 120 side

You need to meter the power on the shore connection first. If low it has nothing to do with your boat or cord. Sure probably some stuff worth fixing on your boat but if chasing down voltage issues no matter what you need to start at the source. If that is good then the cord, connection at the boat, connections within the boat.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Let me repeat what I said earlier :

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Start at the source and measure voltage at the pedestal. On a 120/240-50 you should find 120 between each leg and the neutral as well as 240 across the hots.

There could resistance in one of the shore power cord connection causing voltage drop under load
    What are you showing on the panel voltmeters?

Now are you saying that on generator you are also only getting 108 volts?

A poorly connected new outlet or light switch isn’t going to affect voltage on other circuits
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have not checked voltage on the tower due to the fact the low voltage remains when running off the gen. We are headed north today to Satellite beach area so I’ll have a new power source to contend with, I’m not confident anything will change. The ONLY changes to the vessel since this started is the new outlets/switch’s and Oceanbreeze HVAC units installed.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Another interesting finding while trying to diagnose no heat in the salon. Controls read that unit is getting 239v, how could it have the necessary voltage but the hot water heater doesn’t?

Well that’s why to need to get a multilmeter and check voltages. Check voltage at the breakers for the new air con, water heater as well as the power source selector for gen and shore.

And again what does the meters on the panel show as voltage?

Without knowing what voltage is coming to the panel it s impossible to know what the problem is

Water heaters are pretty tolerant of low voltage.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Well that’s why to need to get a multilmeter and check voltages. Check voltage at the breakers for the new air con, water heater as well as the power source selector for gen and shore. And again what does the meters on the panel show as voltage? Without knowing what voltage is coming to the panel it s impossible to know what the problem is Water heaters are pretty tolerant of low voltage.
    200v @ 58 hertz at the panel while on gen, same it’s always been

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    200v @ 58 hertz at the panel while on gen, same it’s always been
    Under load or no load ? Then your gen has a problem. What is the frequency under load? No load you should be around 61hz to make up for slightly lower rpm under load. Freq is directly controlled by RPM. The lower voltage is likely to be your voltage regulator. Some are adjustable. You should be reading 240v
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Under load or no load ? Then your gen has a problem. What is the frequency under load? No load you should be around 61hz to make up for slightly lower rpm under load. Freq is directly controlled by RPM. The lower voltage is likely to be your voltage regulator. Some are adjustable. You should be reading 240v
    That was under light load, same reading of 200v on shore power with same load. I’ve got the “ohno” manual out and will be making adjustments accordingly. I will update with todays voltage readings on the new tower

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    That was under light load, same reading of 200v on shore power with same load. I’ve got the “ohno” manual out and will be making adjustments accordingly. I will update with todays voltage readings on the new tower
    Light load you should have 240 v and 61 hz
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

What are you using to measure the voltage? Just the panel meters?