Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Charger

Battery Charger

I have 2 4 D AGM batteries. Any recommendations on a new charger?

Re: Battery Charger

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Line View Post
    I have 2 4 D AGM batteries. Any recommendations on a new charger?
    I be always good luck with ProMariner. Right now I have 24v and 12v ProNautics on the boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Every Pro-Mariner I have owned has had problems. Go with Victron if you want quality.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Are these house batteries, starting batteries, inverter batteries 12 or 24v banked? The only batteries? Another charger maintaining other batteries?

Victron is far better than pro nauseas. Also the right charger for the needs. I can help get you the right charger.

Call 407-739-5450 or pm
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

12 v. system. Each battery starts one engine and has 1/2 of the house load.

Hasn’t been my experience with Pro Mariners, even the newer ones. I v had both on my 53 for 5 years now… I had replaced a Dolphin (what a pos) with pro mariner on a 70 I ran… fine for 6 years till the boat sold. Same on the 84 I ran, both Charles crapped out which I replaced with a pro mariner. I ve also had a pro mariner 4x12v to charge the propulsion bank on my sailboat. 7 years and counting.

Maybe I m just lucky.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I used to sell Victron and Mastervolt.
    Both of these are great.

Had one customers Pro-Mariner hick-up years and years ago. I am sure but could not prove it's problems were customer induced. So, I really don't have a problem with these, but just never sold them.

These would be the three I would recommend.

You would be looking for a sized charger to well cover all the house loads while on the dock or gen-set.
    Charger / Converter is a better descriptor here.
    Your looking for a varied charge profile that finishes in a float level the battery type requires.

Chargers come with multi battery use (one charger, up to 4 batteries). I remember customers that wanted redundancy, 2 separate chargers (charger for each battery or bank).
    Yea, Ex-Eastern pilots..

Your fixing to spend a few dollars. Don't cheap out on the cables to and from the charger either. If your old leads look skinny and tired, replace them with the charger project.

While your crawling around the batteries, check out the engines alternators, belts and V/A out -put.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 02-01-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Don’t overlook the Blue Seas P12 I just installed one to replace the xantrex 40 that finally died. The blue seas has the ability to stop the charge to individual banks (up to 3) so that each bank gets it full charge before that particular bank reverts to float. I think they call it ‘prefloat’ I bought it in large part apart from the prefloat thing because I read a few reviews that stated it was made in USA Well sadly it WAS made in USA but in the last few years production was moved to mainland China. The charger has a label on the side clearly stating made in China I hate that

I literally just installed a promariner that I bought a few year’s ago for my 2nd 8D battery on 12/24v starter circuit. All it has to do is replace power used for starting ( they fire immediately) and float/condition. Anything I should be worried about or look for?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP