Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. RR bridge in Stuart to be locked DOWN for 3 weeks.

On April 11th the RR bridge in Stuart is to be locked in down position for three straight weeks, with no opening at all by Brightline. So unless you have a 7’ clearance, everyone west is stuck. “Yay being steamrolled with no recourse “. Pedestrian and auto deaths are over 54 people now-just from WPB to Miami.
    Last edited by Retired1; 01-30-2023 at 08:38 PM. Reason: X

Re: RR bridge in Stuart to be locked DOWN for 3 weeks.

Thanks for the info. Will keep an eye on this. We want to go to Stuart in May.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

3. Re: RR bridge in Stuart to be locked DOWN for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Will keep an eye on this. We want to go to Stuart in May.
    Even on their official posts, the dates keep changing. Brian Mast, our Congressman has hit a wall trying to get the CG to respond. I tried posting the links here, but it was apparently “too many characters”.
    The TC Palm has the article, and Coast Guard notice.
    Last edited by Retired1; 01-31-2023 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
    On April 11th the RR bridge in Stuart is to be locked in down position for three straight weeks, with no opening at all by Brightline. So unless you have a 7’ clearance, everyone west is stuck. “Yay being steamrolled with no recourse “. Pedestrian and auto deaths are over 54 people now-just from WPB to Miami.
    These deaths are cause by stupidity, not brighline. There are tons of video and evidence showing people crossing tracks illegally incl people driving around gates. Culling the herd isn’t always a bad thing.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

5. Re: RR bridge in Stuart to be locked DOWN for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    These deaths are cause by stupidity, not brighline. There are tons of video and evidence showing people crossing tracks illegally incl people driving around gates. Culling the herd isn’t always a bad thing.
    Yet this doesn’t happen on the Tri-Rail/ Amtrak tracks that go DIRECTLY into downtown Orlando does it? What could the difference be?

I totally agree that people are stupid, which is why you don’t try to build a high speed train business directly through their neighborhoods with ZERO fencing. It takes three hours or more to clear the intersections (traffic is backed up for hours!) every time this happens, and it’s already happened over 100 times. Brightline loads their passengers onto busses so I certainly question the “high speed” part of this business if passengers end up arriving by a bus- at their point of origin HOURS later?

It’s a totally defective product that bifurcates the densest part of Florida and doesn’t even go directly to its destination the Orlando AIRPORT (not anywhere near downtown or the tourist parks), nor will it have any stops past West Palm Beach.

It will never turn a profit-but us taxpayers keep subsidizing and bailing them (whomever they really are!) out. They’re on their third name now, and are still years away from completion.

But back to this bridge in Stuart, they first promised they were going to build a newer one higher off the water. Then, they reneged. The bridge is 98 years old. They then said we can make it better, doing the repairs at night without effecting boaters. Well, they lied about that too. Their dates about closing also keep changing. Now (yesterday) it’s going to be locked down for six weeks straight. Then when it’s fixed- it will open once every 45 minutes IF working. This company (which nobody seems to know who really owns it- they said Richard Branson, but he backed out, saying they were only paying for his business name Virgin)has done nothing but lie (and pay off local commissioners and mayors) was first to had been completed in 2014 with NO stops between Miami and Orlando (which met the High Speed definition for Federal Government Grants, but every time they receive the money-they reneg on their original terms-yet the Feds allow them to slide without recourse)
    Our Congressman Brian Mast is hitting walls with getting them or the Coast Guard to even reply.

The ONLY place online that has “sorta facts” about this fiasco is the Facebook page “Florida Not On Board”
    Last edited by Retired1; 02-20-2023 at 12:58 PM.

6. Re: RR bridge in Stuart to be locked DOWN for 3 weeks.

Correction: there’s been 63 deaths on those tracks just by the Brightline trains. This photo I took myself in 2015 along Dixie Hwy before it enters Indian River County. Kids! Don’t ask me how they ended up there (but have you ever run aground?) but there was nothing between the road and the tracks. Still nothing today, except the morons who own these trains are now running practice runs at over 110 mph here. What could go wrong? 3B3BE50D-C548-4AE5-BCCC-6E1F88F9215C.jpg
    Last edited by Retired1; 01-31-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Saw another video today of some guy crossing the track on palm beach county right before a train passed. I will not comment what these idiots look like….

Yes there should be fenced and in this case guard rails along the track.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Saw another video today of some guy crossing the track on palm beach county right before a train passed. I will not comment what these idiots look like….

Yes there should be fenced and in this case guard rails along the track.
    No fences are really needed.
    If there are no laws against being stupid, I encourage Darwin candidates.
    Ding Splat. Tax money saved..
    The herd improves.
    Maybe even gets smarter somehow.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-31-2023 at 06:46 PM.

9. Re: RR bridge in Stuart to be locked DOWN for 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    No fences are really needed.
    If there are no laws against being stupid, I encourage Darwin candidates.
    Ding Splat. Tax money saved..
    The herd improves.
    Maybe even gets smarter somehow.
    You are totally missing the point. Every time there’s an accident the roads are shut down for hours, and in many cases the next east-west crossing is many miles away! There was a incredibly high (in thousands) amount of drug over dose deaths in Broward and Palm Beach County in just 2022, and those idiots live sometimes 75’ from the tracks. Apartments on one side-the corner store on the other. I mean, those fools who built this thing surely had to have a clue who lived there? Tri-Rail and Amtrak doesn’t have these problems because their tracks are west of the urban core, and have fencing, plus do not require any bridges to be opened for their trains. The one up the New River that parallels I-95 has more than 7’ clearance when closed. Plus that one is new.
    Last edited by Retired1; 02-01-2023 at 04:40 PM.

[QUOTE=Retired1;425623]You are totally missing the point. Every time there’s an accident the roads are shut down for hours! There was a incredibly high (in thousands) amount of drug over dose deaths in Broward and Palm Beach County in just 2022, and those idiots live sometimes 75’ from the tracks. Apartments on one side-the corner store on the other. I mean, those fools who built this thing surely had to have a clue who lived there? Tri-Rail and Amtrak doesn’t have these problems because their tracks are west of the urban core, and have fencing, plus do not require any bridges to be opened for their trains.
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 02-01-2023 at 06:27 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat