Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Mooring in the Keys (and elsewhere)? The good and the bad?

With 4 people and eating on board I think we produce a bag and half of garbage a day. I have 2 dogs as
    Well and that does complicate anchoring out. I have a 110 lb Bruce with all chain rode on my 54 Viking.
    The original fortress did not hold in a stout storm. I just got back from a month long cruise in SE FL. Transient
    Slips are tough right now. I think Ian has something to do with it. You are correct slips are very expensive
    Right now whether they are transient or annually. My suspicion is north of Stuart the prices will be less by a
    Significant amount. So I wonder if you can take the boat to Jacksonville or Brunswick, GA for hurricane
    Season and save some money that way. In other words, travel to S FL when you get here. Or go up the Okeechobee
    For a cheaper slip. My insurance won’t let me stay in Florida (since I am out of state) unless I put the boat in
    A building for hurricane season. So I am at River Forest Yachting Center. It is 4100/mo for indoor storage for
    The 6 months of hurricane season. Of course you can offset that cost by the cost of fuel and slips traveling
    To and from Brunswick, GA. But yes it is expensive.

My Geico policy allowed me to keep my Nordic Tug in Brunswick Ga. During hurricane season. But even they are getting more expensive for slips and are getting harder to get.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    With 4 people and eating on board I think we produce a bag and half of garbage a day. I have 2 dogs as
    Well and that does complicate anchoring out. I have a 110 lb Bruce with all chain rode on my 54 Viking.
    The original fortress did not hold in a stout storm. I just got back from a month long cruise in SE FL. Transient
    Slips are tough right now. I think Ian has something to do with it. You are correct slips are very expensive
    Right now whether they are transient or annually. My suspicion is north of Stuart the prices will be less by a
    Significant amount. So I wonder if you can take the boat to Jacksonville or Brunswick, GA for hurricane
    Season and save some money that way. In other words, travel to S FL when you get here. Or go up the Okeechobee
    For a cheaper slip. My insurance won’t let me stay in Florida (since I am out of state) unless I put the boat in
    A building for hurricane season. So I am at River Forest Yachting Center. It is 4100/mo for indoor storage for
    The 6 months of hurricane season. Of course you can offset that cost by the cost of fuel and slips traveling
    To and from Brunswick, GA. But yes it is expensive.
    4100 a month or for the 6 months? Yikes!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name