Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Shaft seals, dry bilge?

You do have to pull the shafts etc to install PSS or any other packless seal.

My first set of bellows on PSS seals lasted 15 years, and were still in good shape when we replaced them. We were installing new cutlass bearings in the stern tube and strut on each side, so we sent the shafts off to be trued, did the bearings and replaced the PSS bellows. But even way past their assigned date for replacing, they were still fine. And the new ones are even sturdier.

I had 20 years on my PSS. During the repower I switched to Tides.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

i put tides on my 53 during the repower. I have a PSS on my sailboat. I prefer tides, I ve had them on a number of boats i ve run. Never had an issue
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We installed Tides probably 30 years ago for the shafts and also rudders, never an issue.
    Replaced them last spring with new ones just because they were getting old.
    Can make a great deal on a pair of new in the box Tides seals for 2" shafts attaching to 3-1/2" shaft tubes.
    Ended up having to get seals for 4" tubes because we damaged the tubes when removing the old ones.
    Easiest fix was sleeving the old tubes with 4" OD fiberglass tube, didn't want to take a chance on using a reducer hose.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

+ 1 on the Tides

Try this product from West Marine been using it for 15 years with no problem at all . WesternPacific Trading its a drip-Less Moldable Packing just follow directions and it works. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    Try this product from West Marine been using it for 15 years with no problem at all . WesternPacific Trading its a drip-Less Moldable Packing just follow directions and it works. Bob
    That sounds interesting!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Works great to stop rudder post leaks also.

One thing to consider, any scoring or corrosion on the shaft within the stuffing box area will prevent the packing from sealing no matter how tight you make them. You need a virtual mirror perfect surface. PSS seals do not need that and are an answer for an otherwise serviceable shaft. I am also on my second set. First set lasted near 15 years and they were changed to the updated version while a bottom job and new shafts were being done.