Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaft seals, dry bilge?

I am trying to learn about shaft seals, and adjusting them.
    I continually have 3-4 inches of water in the engine bilges and there is always a concern of what happens if a bilge pump goes down.

Is a dry bilge possible with regular shaft seals? How much water should be in the bilge, is it normal to have a few inches? I'm guessing I need to check them, possible tighten them or repack them.

Is repacking something you have to do on land?

Thanks for any input!

Currently in inside heated water well and lining up my winter projects.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Shaft seals, dry bilge?

Regular packing glands should drip a little while underway. I built little boxes under my shaft stuffing with their own little bilge pumps. Works fantastic. I now just have a little bit of water in the boxes but the rest of the bilge stays dry.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Conventional shaft logs should barely drip when just sitting, maybe a few drops a minute or so so it should not add up to inches of water. You can measure the volume but putting a plastic box under the shaft logs and see how quickly they fill

Water usually comes from a number of sources including cleaning strainers, air con condensation etc.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I like the idea of a separate collection box.

I think I'm getting more like a drip a second, so I need to tighten it up and see what happens.

Thanks for the input!

I have the dripless shafts and my bilge has dust in it because it’s so dry. Not bragging. A little pricey but worth every non- drop.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Our Bertie, the shaft logs drip a bit while operating. What they do pass lands in a small sump in the engine room keel sump. 1/4" PTFE Flax.

Now the rudders, after 44 years, are always leaking.
    In the middle of a promising red-neck experiment that I will post in a few more week.

I recently pulled out all of my shafts conventional packing and replaced it with the Dura Max Ultra X. I put everything back together as loose as possible. The directions say to let them drip for several hours of operation before tightening them up. I haven't done that yet and my bilge is already dry after a a day or two of sitting. I will know more about how it performs as the weather warms up.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

How much $ are the drippless shaft seals?

Is there a brand that can NOT catastrophically fail and sink your boat?

I personal know of 2 boats that have sunk do to improperly installed PSS shaft seals. Having said that if the PSS seals are properly installed I think they are great. Tides also makes a good seal system that uses a lip seal.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I personal know of 2 boats that have sunk do to improperly installed PSS shaft seals. Having said that if the PSS seals are properly installed I think they are great. Tides also makes a good seal system that uses a lip seal.
    That sure makes them sound risky!

I'm guessing stay with the regular packing, just curious what they cost.
    I'm also assuming you have to pull shafts to install the dripless, which is not something on my radar to do.