Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: packing size

packing size

I need to repack the rudder ports in my 1971 36 Convertible, and I can't recall what size packing I used last time I did it, which was a long while back. If anyone knows the proper size, please post or let me know. Thanks in advance.

Re: packing size

About 99% certain it's 1/4 inch.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Thank you! That's what I dimly recall from last time, but I was not certain.

I thought you guys were all using that weird white stuff thats the end of the world good. (GORTEX?) The old Roamer is probably still on 25+ years of graphite rope packing on all 4 shaft packings and may finally need a touch up this year, as in a ONE FLAT adjustment? Probably 1/4" anyways Jim...
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

For the rudder packing I used teflon flax. The rudders don't turn fast enough to justify fancy packing. And my driveshafts have dripless glands.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

We started this project yesterday (it's been relatively warm in MD, which helps). Started on port side first, got the old packing out with some difficulty. It turns out that the replacement packing size is actually 3/16"; I brought 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8, and even the 1/4 was too big. At that point, we measured the one intact ring of packing that we'd gotten out, and realized it is 3/16". So, drove to Fawcett's right before closing time, just made it, and packed that side with 3/16 graphite packing.

My friend Dave who really has done all the work here, since 1) I can't easily fit in there and 2) just had nasal surgery so I'm not supposed to, was kind enough to also clean up the rudder ports and associated hardware with an angle grinder and stainless wire wheel. They probably haven't looked that good since the boat was built in 1971. My preferred stuff for keeping them looking good and not turning green is Corrosion-X- we'll see how it does for this application.

We ran out of time to finish all the packing work, but today I'm going to spend on the bonding wires we found which need to be replaced- I can make those up at home and then replace them. Feels good to make some progress on the always-endless list of maintenance items.

Corrosion-X is great stuff. Cleaning the rudder posts is not .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

You're not kidding. Even my surveyor said (a direct quote) "rudder posts suck". He's right.