Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: stabilizers

Re: stabilizers

Sky, I use an Oberdorfer pump that pulls water from the old air con pump thru hull. So far no loss of prime underway. The fact that we are in So Cal we took out all of our AC units and gained a ton of storage space.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    My original Naiad installation had the cooling water coming off of the engine. When I repowered, I went with a cooling pump but I've been having problems keeping prime with that pump in rough seas. Where are you picking up water with your pump(location of thru-hull)? What pump are you using?
    I used to have water maker priming issues after a run. I replaced the slotted camshell with a South Bay strainer and the problem is gone.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I used to have water maker priming issues after a run. I replaced the slotted camshell with a South Bay strainer and the problem is gone.
    Currently I'm using the thru-hull that was the pick up for the old Galleymaid head. Its behind the stabilizer fin so I think I'm getting air pulled under there as the fin moves. I'm thinking I'll have to add a new thru-hull deeper down and away from that agitation.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Wouldn’t be easier to just use raw water from one of the engines? That’s how it is usually set up. The only reason to use an electric pump is when the stabs have zero speed capability and run at anchor with the engine off.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Wouldn’t be easier to just use raw water from one of the engines? That’s how it is usually set up. The only reason to use an electric pump is when the stabs have zero speed capability and run at anchor with the engine off.
    That's how my system was initially set up. Did not get sufficient flow to the oil cooler. I'm on my second raw water cooling pump and still fighting oil overheat issues.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    That's how my system was initially set up. Did not get sufficient flow to the oil cooler. I'm on my second raw water cooling pump and still fighting oil overheat issues.
    Couple of months ago I replaced the oberdorfer cooling pump on the 116 with a march and cleaned up the hose run. Don’t know who and installed the pump but they had done a lousy job installing it right under the chillers. I used a March TE 5.5C-MD. It’s only used with the zero speed.

Last year I added flow indicators and I realized that at idle speed the engine provide almost no flow to the hydraulic cooler. I only picks up over 850/900 RPM
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had flow issues with my original setup off of my 6v92 cooling system. I ended up moving the water pickup closer to the raw water pump and that helped. When we got these new Cats, I didn't see any good place to pick up water and Cat would not recommend a location to do so either. That left me with adding a pump which I did but I just took water off of an existing thru hull. So my new plan is to just add another thru-hull in a better location.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI