Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Salon Lunaire evap 1988 Hatteras 48 Convertible

So, our salon ac/heat pump evap fan finally said no more yesterday. Checked the motor up on the bridge and it was hot as hell. Ater spending considerable time staring at the unit wondering how to remove the fan motor my only theory was to recover the R22 at the condensing unit in engine room and pull the unit out, drill some rivets to separate the squirrel cage from the evap, remove the squirrel cage and then possibly access the nuts holding the motor against the housing. Does this sound about right for those of you with this experience? I wonder if that motor is even available 35 years later. Any and all help is appreciated!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dmoore; 01-22-2023 at 08:29 PM.

Re: Salon Lunaire evap 1988 Hatteras 48 Convertible

The evaporator looks pretty good, you should be able to pull the blower and replace it with a generic Dayton
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes, it is in surprisingly nice condition. Yes, Dayton came to mind during the investigation. But would you agree the only way to remove it is to recover the R22, pull it out of the cabinet and drill out the rivet's?

Probably. Hard to tell from the picture. i just replaced two 2004 vintage cruisair air handlers, both has the welds just falling apart forcing the entire replacement. Make sure you don’t put any stress on the pipes when you do disconnect it and pull it out.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes, those copper lines look a bit Fra Gil ee..

Looks like you could drill out those pop rivets and remove the entire blower ass'y and replace it .....Pat

That's the plan Pat! Unit has to be removed of course to get to the rear portion. I have the R22 recovery equipment and vacuum pump to recharge. Ain't nuttin easy!

So, we removed the blower/evap assy Saturday. As expected, we drilled out the rivets and separated the two. Was surprised to find out the motor is 230 vac. Entered the part number off of a sticker on the motor and voila! Fasco is still in business and still producing the complete blower assy. How often does that happen? Never! It should be here sometime this week.
    Attached Images