Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Chips in fiberglass rear cockpit where you step onto boat area.

So I am coming from a gelcoat boat owner for about 20 years and got pretty good at matching and repairing my boats over them years in gel coat. Now I just bought a 90 convertible and am looking for ideas on what the best practice is to repair some small deep chips from probably stepping and loading/unloading onto boat. To my understanding this model was originally gel coated then painted from the factory. If this is true then is the best way to tapper the chip and fill with closely matched in color gel coat then touched up with imron paint (or Alexseal)? Or is there a better method for Hats?

Re: Chips in fiberglass rear cockpit where you step onto boat area.

I've used epoxy resin with fillers then prime and paint with Awlgrip. The Imron or Alexseal should do good too. I suppose you could gelcoat but I have not done that on any of the repairs I have done including core replacement of decks.

Re: Chips in fiberglass rear cockpit where you step onto boat area.

Clean them out, fill, fair and paint. That's about it. Find out what it's painted with, awlgrip or imron. I found awlgrip easy to use just take your time. Also watch Boatworks Today on YouTube, Andy is very good at showing how to do all kinds of fiberglass and gelcoat repairs.

Walt Hoover