Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Headliner Cleaning

We have a 1977 43’ Double Cabin that we just purchased. Any advice on how to clean the headliner? It’s in great condition but don’t think it’s been cleaned in 45 years…

Re: Headliner Cleaning

We tried and tried. Ultimately replaced. Consider painting though.

Test a cleaner on a small patch, then go whole hog with it. I forget what I used on ours but it certainly made a difference. It may have been a mild water based detergent on a rag followed by a rinse with a clean damp rag. Rinse the rags frequently. I did not use a brush.
    I would hesitate to paint the headliner since cracking of the paint could happen.
    Regards
    Dan

Simple green, it is amazing stuff. I would certainly test it first.

Walt Hoover

There are some threads on here about the correct paint to use and how to do it.

Of the various issues we have with our headliner, none of them are because they were at one time painted.

Not by us, so, I don’t know the product used.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Thanks to all for your advice!!!

If you wind up painting it use the SEM system. They have a cleaner/prep you use before the paint. I did the salon in my 55 C and it turned out good. It was badly stained and unless you knew the stains were there you couldn't see them after 2 coats. Three probably would have hidden them. I had no issues after 3 years when I traded her.

Cleaned mine with Kaboom. Worked like a dream. X2 on SEM paints if you need to repaint
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California