Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    Tommy Guest

Convertable Vs Express

I am looking to jump from a 31 ft center console with twin 250 hp outboards to a 39-43 express or convertible Hat. I am truly struggling with the decision of getting an express or a convertible. I have 4 kids ages 9-16 yrs and would spend mostly one and possibly two day trips to Catalina. I like to fish and speed is important.

I'm also looking at Riviera Convertibles and Viking 43 express. However, my current true dilemma is Express/open or convertible?

Any advise would bee much appreciated.

Thanks

divernc Guest
    Convertible has more weath,er protection (may not matter in S. Cal.) and greater visibility for operation and fishing.

Express offers more social connection between helmsman and guests, keeping an eye on kids, easier shorthanded fishing and lower bridge clearance. I have ridden some older Hatteras Expresses where forward visibility was limited when on plane (maybe true of all large Express models?).

divernc Guest
    Oh, think long and hard if your boating activities can stand going from 40 knots to low 20's. It takes an adjustment if you are used to speed runs offshore, but your joints and internal organs will thank you when you reach 50! Nothing rides like a Hatt in big seas!

Re: Convertable Vs Express

I have a 1995 39 SX for sale in San Diego. Fantastic boat. I am deploying to middle east soon and selling for my wife's sanity. The boat is listed with Stan Miller Yachts.

Re: Convertable Vs Express

I owned prior to my convertable 38 Hatt. 4 sedans I like the convertables esp. for your weather in S.D. lots of sitting on the stern area. Either at sea or inport. The Hatt 38 SF have two state rooms Vee in the bow end and bunks stbd. both have privacy doors. Head with a doored shower and on. But it all boils to what would be appropriate for your family. My Hatt is gas powered as soon as I can get an out of the water survey I may turn it over to a broker to sell only because I would like another diesel boat. James.