Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

32 volt conversion

total conversion costs from 32 Volt to 12/24 volt??

Re: 32 volt conversion

Just think of every (over head, vanity, trim, dash, nav) light, pump, blower, fan, trim tabs, oil and fuel pump, some tank level gauges/senders, spot light, heads, black water pumps, potable water pumps, windlass, hoist, thruster, starter motors, alternators and battery charger.

Whats wrong with your 32V system?

Yes it's been done.
    Hopefully one of those experienced member will chime in.

After 18 years of owning our 32V Bertram, Never had a 32V problem.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-06-2023 at 10:35 AM.

First of all you question doesn’t make any sense as you didn’t even bother telling us what size and year boat you have as well as whether you will do the work yourself or paying a $120 an hour marine electrician… so… stupid answer to stupid question : anywhere between $3000 and $30000. Or more

That said….If the system is working and in good shape it is usually not worth converting the boat from 32 to 24 volts. I converted my 53 to 24v when I repowered 4 years ago because i wanted to upgrade a lot of systems anyway and my boat is an early 53 with outdated non tinned wiring. Otherwise I would have kept the 32 v system.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It is a big job. Below there are some details about when I changed my 58YF from 32 to 12 volts. My reason was the challenges of moving 8D 8 volt batteries. Now I see the cost already saved in battery costs.
    The change, about 15 or 16 years ago now.
    When I first published this there was a bunch of push back, I now have all Group 31 batteries, including the inverter bank, 19 batteries in all. My favorite upgrade when installing a battery. PM me if you want to talk this over. Good luck.

Re: DC voltage conversion

I changed my YF to 12 volts, 9, maybe 10 years ago. One of the best things I have done to the boat. About $6,000 to $7,000 in parts. Every thing from adding starter relays, changing heads, alternators, starters, bilge pumps, the list goes on and on.

I did it over a winter, started on the must have and worked my way down to incendentals.

I will never carry a 8V 8D all of my batteries are G31s including the inverter.

I remember some pushback when I did the battery refit. The only thing not 12 is the windlass, it's 24 with a dedacated charger.

8 8 volt batteries are now $3,000+, I call replace all 19 batteries for $2100, and I don't need help.

Like others said, it is a big job. If you have questions on me I will send you my number.

Hope this helps
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

sorry for not giving enough information. Hatteras 58 MY 1987

It s going to be a big job on a 58 especially a later one as the electrical system is more complex with a few sub panels.

If you do it, I would recommend switching to 24 volts not 12 as sue to the longer wire run, the original wiring may not be heavy enough for 12v
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Don't forget things like the battery parallel solenoid. Its not easy to get to in the cabinet with the battery switches.

I had to switch half of my boat to 12v when I repowered. I kept the 32v house bank which is also my inverter bank. I now have two 12v banks in place of my old 32v start bank. I see no need to replace the 32v stuff. I can buy golf cart batteries for that bank now since its not a start bank. The GC batts are better suited to the deep cycle needs of the house bank anyway. Group 31's are in the start banks.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Golf cart batteries can be used for starting, I know some have done that already. Deffeinatly easier to handle 8Ds.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

GC batts may work in warm climates but there are times we need all the amps we can get to roll em over up north. And GC batts are not designed for that. The high amp draw melts the terminals off. That's why I always used Rolls. They're built for max amp draw.

For a house/inverter bank, the deep cycle design of golf cart batteries is a perfect match, but not for starting. Just because it has worked for you doesn't mean its the right choice for everyone.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 01-07-2023 at 10:23 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Forget the amp draw for starting. Inverters are being set up for 400 amps or more today.

I'm designing systems to handle up to 1000 amps for surges and constant loads of 500 or more. Golf cart batteries are not the answer to high load usage.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.