Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Information on 1984 Hatteras 53 "Londun Bridge

Anyone got info or history on Londun Bridge, a 1984 Hatteras 53 located in Fall River Massachusetts? Thanks!

Re: Information on 1984 Hatteras 53 "Londun Bridge

I looked this past August and I've brain dumped most of what I remember, so take this with a big grain of salt.

She's owned by the owner of the marina she's at and was previously the owner's mother's boat. She's been for sale off and on for the past three or three and a half years. She gets used fairly regularly, but mostly for local employee appreciation cruises. They did move her from one slip to another while I was there, but before the broker showed up, so I did at least see her move under her own power.

Overall, she's pretty clean I thought. On the outside, I didn't see any glaring issues, but wasn't able to look at the port side. The port engine was rebuilt or replaced with a reman (I can't remember which), and they went through the hull. From the low res pictures in the listing, it looks like there may be some obvious patchwork due to mismatched paint. They didn't turn the power on when I was aboard, so I wasn't able to get a very good look at the engine rooms, and in particular, the port to see how they glued it all back together. All I had was my phone flashlight, so I just stuck a fork in giving the ER's much of a look. BUT... When I pulled the bilge access hatch in the forward stateroom, there was about 6" of water in the bilge. When I pulled the tank access hatch in the hallway between ER's, there was a lot of water visible, and the starboard shaft seal was leaking really bad. How bad? I could just barely hear it with the ER doors closed if we stopped talking. I said something to the broker about it and he didn't seem concerned. I tried to pull some bilge access hatches in the master and none would open. Stabilizers were "serviced in 2016," but never function tested and it is unknown if they work.

It was under offer at the time for "low 200's," but the sticking point for the buyer was that since the owner and his family had their marina do all the work for something like 20-25 years, there's almost zero maintenance records. I believe they did have a survey done. Considering she's still on the market and at a slightly lower price than when I looked, it's safe to say the buyer walked.

The broker, Andy, is a friend of the owner and has crewed on the boat on some longer trips. He was, I felt, very honest and candid with his answers and wasn't there to blow smoke up my ass about the boat. He said he lives across the river, so it's not a big deal for him to swing by for a showing.

She's a nice boat cosmetically, but the lack of mx records and the grossly leaking shaft seal, along with the statement that the owner has had little interest in the boat for the past three or four years makes me wonder what else would be found beyond my cursory inspection. I can't really say what I'd offer, but based on what I've read on here about other boats for sale over the years, I think they have a long way to go on the price before it's out of their marina.
    Last edited by No control; 01-06-2023 at 01:09 AM.