Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Purisan waste system

Looking to replace holding tank with the Purisan system. Anyone out there havev the purisan system. Pros and cons? Thanks!

Re: Purisan waste system

Fanfare, built in 1965, had no holding tank. Three heads, just untreated overboard discharge as all boats had then. Around 1972 treatment began to be required. I installed three LectraSan units, by Raritan Engineering. These incorporated a Waring blender sort of grinder to liquefy waste and electrolyic plates to convert salt water into free chlorine oxidants to both bleach and disinfect the waste before overboard discharge. We spent most of our boating time in the Bahamas where sewage pumpouts were nonexistent. Magazine reviews of the LectraSan units indicated that these worked very well, usually showing no living coliform bacteria and no "floating solids" as the requirements stated. These results were often better than the land based sewage treatment plants. Despite this, recently more and more localities are forbidding any overboard discharge, no matter how well treated. All the Florida Keys are now no discharge. I have removed one LectraSan and installed a 30 gallon holding tank in my generator room, all that would fit, serving only one head. In the Keys I have to lock off the other two toilets to comply with the law, which has never been updated since 1972. Imagine if your automobile emission controls had not been improved since then!

The Purisan unit is an updated LectraSan with more disinfecting chemicals. It still discharges overboard. I would consider retaining your holding tank and also adding the Purisan, with valving to send waste to the holding tank or overboard where permitted. Then you can go anywhere.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

In the lower StJohns river, it varies from salt, brackish to fresh quickly. The poo cookers needed a salt brine injector to work correctly in anything less than salt water. Also, the cooking replacement plate is expensive.

We went with the later Purisan that injects a strong chlorine solution into the same mixed up black water.
    As on both models, when the cycle is complete, the next flush pushes the treated solution over board.
    There are no ZDZs further up the river but we use our holding tanks anyway and pump out when needed.

Reading some Raritan notes, there was an option to have all heads dump into a common large tank. On some determined tank level, a pump would cycle the black water thru the Purisan, treat it, then repeat the process till the main tank was lowered to some determined level.

One day, I may get a chance to try this on a <20m Hatt.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 01-03-2023 at 11:53 AM.

I have 2 holding tanks on mine. 1 30gal fwd head & 1 100gal for 2 aft heads. I also have a raritan treatment for Master head that I use but, it can be very sensitive! I don't use the salt or brine solution as I'm just off ICW on a barrier island. I intend to put a second system (bought it off a member here & serial # is 00001 ) for the fwd head as there is plenty room for it under the hatch. I would not get rid of any holding tank in exchange for a treatment system as one day you or next owner will need it.
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

We have been using the electrascan for several years on our live aboard.
    One toilet is fresh water plumbed to the holding tank and the other raw water to the unit.
    The unit does need to be installed within a few feet and below the toilet. Since it is flushed daily there has been no dead water smell.
    Periodic acid flushing extends the life of the electrode. Approximately 3 years before replacement. $300 for the part and a few hours to replace.

I have a brand new Purasan 24v unit in a sealed box that I am leaning toward not using and could be had at a good price.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

How much?

Our boat had direct overboard discharges when we bought her. No room for a tank, so we went with the purasan because she was kept in fresh water but we boated in saltwater a lot, 10 miles down river.No issues at all in 6 years of operation Keep spare tablets and a tablet dispenser on board. We had one tablet dispenser that had a hole in it after 5 years. Installation was easy and they company has grest support to help with install.