Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tender Tow Line

Tender Tow Line

We have a 14' Gala RIB that I'd like the option of towing for short stints. I would prefer to purchase the complete rig ready to go. Any suggestions down here in FLL of where to buy?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

2. Re: Tender Tow Line

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    We have a 14' Gala RIB that I'd like the option of towing for short stints. I would prefer to purchase the complete rig ready to go. Any suggestions down here in FLL of where to buy?
    I used to tow a 15’ Hobie Power Skiff with a 75hp Yamaha. I had Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale make me up a long 1” yellow polypropylene rig, that was braided to rope where it was run through the tow eye of the tender, then up across the boat to where it shackled onto tow eyes on the transom on the tender (in case something failed). Then also braided to rope with shackles to attach to the transom cleats of the big boat. Wanted the line that touched the water to float, and be visible.
    I cinched the whole rig tight on the swim platform when in Marinas.
    I think they’re still there.

Re: Tender Tow Line

Funny, I walk through SM at least once a week looking for whatever it is I can't live without. Never thought about them. They have a bunch of used tow lines but all for large CC type tenders. I'll ask next time I'm there. Thank you.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

For short stints? Like for a short stint do you really want to let the dink out on a long leash? Having come through West Palm passing by the marinas and Peanut on Memorial Day weekend, I can attest you don't want the dink on a long leash in many places. I'd save that for hops outside or long runs on lakes. You will still need someone to haul it in, or drive the boat while you haul it in and they had better be experienced boat handlers no matter which role they are in.
    Canals with locks?
    Have help aboard that can haul it in close. Ditto other scenarios.
    In between islands or cays in the Exumas or etc.? Sure. About the only time we left it on a long leash in the States was crossing Okeechobee. Long runs in the canal across Florida were better done with it on the davit even though it stuck out on the stbd side.
    I get the idea that it will save effort when moving from one spot to another but in reality the stress of managing a tow is up there.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 12-30-2022 at 04:55 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

Many of the marinas we frequent on Green Bay are less then 30 miles apart and we hop from one to the next occasionally so I'd rather tow then load and unload for the those short hops.
    Last edited by Sadey; 12-31-2022 at 03:47 PM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Dave,
    I tow a 13 Whaler with a 1/2 anchor line. Shackle it to the bow and then tie it to one aft cleat and let it out longer after I get onto Lake Michigan. Then bring it back in once I get into the next harbor before getting into tight quarters docking. You really don't need any thing special for what you're talking about. I've done it this way for the last 30 years without incident and we've been out in some pretty nasty stuff.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You want yellow polypropylene fatter the better not that you need the strength but it floats and you can see it better. Plus easy to grab and pull. I’ve got a 1” setup. If towed everything from my 13 whaler to a 58 YF but you need to keep it in a container out of the sun.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Not that you want something as hoaky as what I'm about to tell you, but it did work.

I just used a couple 20 or 25 ft 5/8 lines and some pool noodles from the dollar store. For $5 I had the floating part covered. Put a couple knots in the line to keep the noodles near the boat.
    Looks: bad Functionality: worked perfect. At tow I tied to the rear cleats on the boat. At dock I would reel the dinghy in and tie to the aft deck stainless uprights.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

So if I made a Y tied to both aft cleats then a length of line, preferably a floater to a shackle attached to the bow eye I should be good? How long should the line/floater be? The RIB is an aluminum hull and the bow eye is welded so I’m guessing I’m good there.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Broward Machine fabricated a towing eye for my Whaler Montauk. Bought the towing bridle from them as well. First class products.