Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Talking Re: Bahamas 2024 prep

If you don’t need service underway then the basic dish will work fine

Not sure what you mean by “will have a brand new portable receiver”
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Bahamas 2024 prep

The antenna? I don’t know what to call it. They just call it all the Starlink.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

They call the dish, dishy Mc flat face. Not really applicable but ours (first gen untouched) has worked all the way to up to 16kts but that’s in the Great Lakes. Not sure if that helps. RV $150 version on pause for the winter season.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I hope this information helps. I have the Standard Starlink Antenna, in the USA I have Mobile Regional Service $150 month, when I went to the Bahamas I had to switch to Mobile Global Service $200 month. The Global service also worked in the USA, I switched the month before we left. With Mobile Global I had service at 10 knots, but lost service 10 miles out of Miami, and regained service 10 miles outside Bimini. We lost service between Bimini and Chub and again the internet came back as we got closer to the islands. Same thing between the Berries and Spanish Wells. It appears the Starlink service is available around the islands, at anchor etc., but for the long stretches between islands service is sketchy. When we returned we switched back to the Regional $150 service with no problems. Also, when we made a 16 knot run from Naples to Key West with Regional Service we lost internet for a while out in the gulf just like the trip to the Bahamas.

Caesar's Ghost
    1980 58 YF #472

The service map is in the SL website and clearly shows where service will be available using the mobile plans (regional or global) with blue hexagonal cells. Anytime you re in a black cell, you will only have service if you toggle OIPD in the app. Indeed across the stream, between Bimini and the Berrys as well as between Nassau and Exumas we have to toggle OIPD

SL also offers priority plans starting at $250 a month incl 50 gigs. One trick though is that when you will be using the allocated data first, even near land. So after that is used you still have to pay $2 a gig extra

I just saw that SL is about to release a new dish which is a little smaller than the existing versions, motor less and easier to move around as it no longer as the pole sticking out. Apparently it is not approved for in motion use though
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Dishy Mc Boatface ordered and on the way. So I'll have plenty of time to get the Starlink mounted, working, and used.

So now starting on lists of spares and provisions. Going to purchase a 5.5 CF deep freezer and make (or have made) a nice top and make it a table in the salon. It will hold food vacuum sealed and maybe some extra ice. I have a local guy who goes to the the Bahamas on extended trips that's helping me out with being prepared as well as anchorages in Bimini area to spend some time on the hook.

I'm open to all suggestions from those who have been there. I know going to Bimini, West End area, and Back to Stuart is not really that far but it's a big step for us. I'll take all the help we can get. Starting out end of May towards Marathon and cruising in June.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Our first time over we stopped in West End and held for weather. Once it cleared we anchored at Great Sale and then went on to Green Turtle, Guana, and Elbow. It might seem out of reach for the first time but getting over the stream into the shallow waters is a relief and it sets the stage for a great adventure. If you stock up and you get across the stream ok, in good weather the run on the bank to the Abacos is easy and well worth it.
    Regards
    Dan

Dan, thanks but that stuff is for our next trip. Dipping our toe in the water this trip. Plus I am told the are a couple great anchorages near Bimini. Then when we run up to West End taking advantage of friends/family being able to fly in and meet up. Even have a guy flying his own plane in (also a first for him) to hang out. Trip should be a blast. Then next time after "been there, done that" getting over we will venture out further. Plan on a buddy boat for that. Who's up for Bahamas 2026?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

The only half decent anchorage around Bimini is the east side of Gun Cay, near the north end. Its exposed to the east though it can be choppy over 12-15kts

Honeymoon harbor is ok with small boats (under 45/50’) because of current and odd swinging patterns. Very busy in summer.

West side Bimini (radio beach) is ok depending on weather. NE swells can wrap around and make it rolly. Further north, it s all been destroyed by Resort World Bimini Bay so unless you want to see a cruise ship pier, constructin etc forget it

In calm weather the NW shore of Bimini past the north point is ok, nice Long Beach, but nothing special.

Bimini was great years ago, nowadays we don’t even stop on the way to the Exumas, it s not worth it

West end doesn’t have much to offer either besides a place to clear customs.

I would suggest you clear in Bimini, check out honeymoon harbor , a day and overnight, snorkel the Sapona, then hop to the berrys, an easy 60/70nm run on the bank. Great Harbor cay has a nice marina, amazing beaches along with a few nice spots just south.

One more thing, weather windows to cross the stream are longer between Miami and Bimini than north to west end. Oh and the run between Bimini and west end can be rough too, more than running on the bank to the Berrys
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Starlink arrived yesterday. It was a snap to set up. Set up in the back yard to test out. The dish in nearly facing out house (on it's own) and the speed test pegged the meter.

Big takeaway. Get the app. Basically every question I had is addressed on the app. Nice stuff.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP