Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Re: Bahamas 2024 prep

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Usually a loss of pressure on these is caused by a suction leak at the filter or fitting. They are VERY sensitive to air leaks. And oil level obviously.
    Please elaborate on what to specifically look for. Just had the gear oil changed and since I was having to run on only one engine I did a pre flight the day before as I didn't want to blindly pull off the dock already down one engine. Started fine, warmed it up, and when put into gear very sluggishly moved forward. Same for reverse. Called mechanic and he sent out his seasoned tech, great guy. Start for him and he immediately yells shut it down. Filter housing leak. Turns out the tech who did the work installed 2 gaskets, not just the one correct gasket. They fixed and took apart the other side. That had only the one correct gasket. Wonder if the gasket got damaged and this is enough of an air leak to allow pump to drain and loose prime. It sat for 6 weeks while in the yard.
    Last edited by madhatter1; 02-20-2024 at 09:40 AM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

It’s been years since I ve had to deal with this but I remember the gasket under the triangular fitting with the 3 bolts being very sensitive to incorrect torque. I recall it being pretty thin and easy to damage. It takes very little to get an air leak.

If the problem started after service, I m sure that’s your issue and not the pump. And the gaskets are not reusable so if they pulled it to check, it needs a new one
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Well, it turns out Dave is looking out for me from the other side. The pump is $3K and not getting any time soon if we need it. But I remember today a white heavy “thing” in a clear plastic bag he gave me with some other stuff back in 2018. Rummage through garage and find it. Yep, a spare Allison pump!
    Attached Images
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks Dave, I’m doing my best to take care of and upgrade the boat. Sorry it will get a little fish blood on it. Know you didn’t like that.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Well, it did need a pump. Was leaking at the tach shaft allowing it lose prime. The spare pump got us up and running and the one we took off is headed out for rebuild and will be kept onboard as a spare.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Does anyone have knowledge of slip and mooring ball availability in the Abaco's in June. We are going to make a reservation at West End but from there wondering if we need reservations or not. I have a lot of info now from friends but they all stay mostly on the hook or go a different time of year.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Try Hope Town Inn And Marina.

https://www.hopetownmarina.com/

They used to havemooring.
    Regards
    Dan