Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 53MY fridge search not going well...

I cut a notch in my top cabinets over the fridge, cut doors down to fit. Nobody notices.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I Googled 67.5 refrigerator and got a lot of hits...many side by sides.

This is just a casual search but here is one http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?i...amp;fullDesc=1

Fixing the copper tubing is problematic. You are going to have to have a good AC guy with a great vacuum pump and a lot of patience.

Ted

Yes, I did the google search for two days. THe fridge displayed at that site is a standard depth unit. The problem is it has to be a counter-depth fridge in order to be able fit into the galley through the passageway between galley and salon. There is 24 1/8" available. That is the depth without the doors attached on a counter-depth fridge. A normal side by side is 27-28 without dorrs attached and it won't go. Only counter-depth fridges meet that spec. All counterdepth fridges are now (I just found out today) at least 68+ inches tall. They used to be 67" tall which is what is on the boat now. They are taller because they now have to meet energy-saving specs which require more insulation. This fridge is 23 5/8 deep without doors - same as the old one-so it will go through the passageway OK.

I'm sure it is possiblle, given enough energy and time, to alter the current box so that it will work. But we want to use the boat rather than sort this out.

Late this afternoon, after much measuring and re-measuring, the Admiral and I purchased a Frigidaire that measures 68 3/16 tall from floor to top of case. That is 1/16th larger than the opening. I figure I can get a 16th somewhere. The base of the cabinet cannot be altered because the air handler is sitting on the base. I would have to reposition the air handler as well as modify the cabinet. I told the salesman I would probably remove the wheels, gaining 1/2 inch. He said that the wheels can't be removed. I told him, "I've got a cutting torch, believe me, they can be removed!'

We will be removing the old/installing the new tomorrow. I'll post how it went and, if it was reasonably successful, I'll post the part number of the fridge for others to consider should this unfortunate operation be necessary.

I suspect that the height of the overhead cabinet probably varies a bit from boat to boat so others may have a bit more or less clearance than we do.

4. Re: 53MY fridge search not going well...

I went through this with Gigabite, and was able to find ONE refer that would fit - it was an "Americana" (GE "house brand") and went in - but it was TIGHT getting it down the stairs, even with the doors removed.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

lucky you.... :-) I only have 65" from floor to cabinet !

on the other hand, my boat has 28" once the grab rail is removed in the stairs but only 26" 2' off the saloon floor. for some reason I cant' understand, the wall on the stbd side, just forward of the side door isn't vertical but a little more narrow as you go up...

good luck...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat