Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

53MY fridge search not going well...

I know this is a tired old subject but I have not been able to find a fridge to replace the 9 year old Kenmore that failed this weekend. Here's the problem...

The current (broke) fridge is a counter-depth (approx 24" deep w/o doors) model side-by-side. It stands 67.5" from the floor to the top of the case. ALL current counter depth fridges we have found in stores and on the internet are at least 68.5" tall, most are taller. UNFORTUNATELY, the height of the overhead cabinet above the fridge is 68 1/8." This height is to the actual base of the cabinet, not to some molding or decorative projection which could be cut off. There are shorter non-counter depth fridges but they cannot fit through the opening at the galley stairs. Even if they would, their floor footprint is too large in the galley.

I read previous threads on this, including Sky's posting of the LG fridge part number he used for his 53. Unfortunately, that fridge is discontinued and its replacement is too tall. I really DON"T want to rip out the cabinet. But it's beginning to look like the only option. In actuality, I wouldn't totally rip out the cabinet - I guess I'd cut maybe 2" off of it, put in a new bottom and then put in the fridge.

I'd welcome any ideas - I have several goons scheduled to remove the old fridge tomorrow and really wanted to install a new one at the same time. Modifying the cabinet seems to be the only way to ensure I can easily find a fridge to fit. Has anyone done something like this? Is there a better way?

I could easily get on my soapbox about the quality of refrigerators. Yesterday at several appliance stores, even the Admiral commented that everything we looked at - some up to 2500 bucks ON SALE, look, in her words, like "Plastic Cr@p." The thing that annoys me is that fridges, like many other items now are not expected to last at all. At Sears I mentioned the fridge that broke was a '97 Kenmore. The salesman's reaction? "Wow, that's pretty good!" My reaction? "It's throwaway junk." My mother in law has a fridge and a freezer in her basement that she bought in 1952. They both run just fine. But I digress...

Here's a pic of the current fridge taken in happier days. Note that the overhead cabinet can't really be cut off withouth totally compromising the doors as well. I'd rather NOT do all that...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeP996; 07-07-2006 at 06:43 AM.

Re: 53MY fridge search not going well...

Can you remove the leveling feet and/or modify the frame they are on-- You mite gain the lousy inch you need (?) ws

Perhaps...I was thinking about that possibility. Most of the fridges we looked at all had adjustable wheels for leveling purposes. I could rmove the wheels and gain a bit. Of course that would make it difficult to get the fridge in/out without scarring the floor but it might be the only solution. I have a good bit of extra Amtico!

Further, I just went down to the boat and looked carefully at that overhead cabinet. I didn't realize that it also houses the air handler at the helm station so it cannot be modified as I had been considering. Essentially, the cabinet MUST stay as it is so it's up to the fridge to fit...

Is there the chance that the existing refrig could be repaired? Even a new compressor would have to be less $ and less hassle than total replacement.

You know thw two tools you dont use on a yacht?? A square and a level !! Its all an illusion anyways I slid mine in on a piece of card board. I figured once in and once out if I outlive the fridge. Watch those fingers !! ws

Yeah - I think wheeless will be it. I found a Fridgidaire that is 68 3/16 tall including 3/8" wheels per the specs shown on the internet. Removing the wheels should get her in with 3/16 to spare! I could remove the Amtico flooring under the "skids" of the fridge and get another 16th if I need it.

The fridge cannot be repaired due to the "modern, advanced" design! That's right, it's a "feature." The problem is that the refrigerant tubing, for reasons I can't understand, actually goes up the side wall of the fridge, across the top, and down the other side wall. This means that this piece of tubing is enclosed in the foamed-in side/top of the fridge. There is no access to this tube. I had a tech out last year who determined that there was a coolant leak - he also determined that the leak was NOT in any portion of the tube that is accessable. Therefore, it cannot be repaired. He recharged it and it ran for about a year until sufficient refrigerant leaked out to make it non-functional. I would gladly pay them the price of a new fridge to fix the old one but it's not possible.

The fridge cannot be repaired due to the "modern, advanced" design! That's right, it's a "feature."
    Mike is that another way of saying Throw Away .
    Throw away is the way the country is going after all look at all of those SR boats out there .
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Mike, Why can't a new line be run either externally or internally . Why would the line have to be in the wall of the refer ? Just bypass the old line and bend up some new copper and sweat it in. I don't see why it CAN'T be done. What you have looks nice too...............................Pat

Well doc g may be on to something I dont think just bending up a new line will work. But you could gut it, use the box and add your own cold plates!!
    They do this all the time on sailboats building there own boxes and add in the proper cold plate due to size. You would also have a more reliable unit.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

that was my first reaction as well, the compressor and all is good but it jsut has a leak? replace the line, bypass it, etc.. isns't it just copper tubing? route it along the back or something...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat