Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Insurance ??? (1983, 48MY)

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    I can get Florida done with a good survey and a proper Hurricane plan
    How about a 1972 53' MY in S.C.?
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

I just got insurance for my 1992 65ft motor yacht(home ported in NW FL) from State Farm. Needed to have a recent survey and it ain’t cheap but I have her insured.
    BJones
    1992 65ft Motor Yacht
    65MY129
    Atlanta, GA

I just went through something similar to this with BoatUS, here in MD. They required an updated survey in order to issue the next insurance policy. They same surveyor has now surveyed her three times. They accepted the survey, asked for a few small items to be done (flares, fire ext updates) and reissued the policy, with about the same rate as last year. I'm still planning to read all the fine print. Value of my boat was unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Entonces View Post
    How about a 1972 53' MY in S.C.?
    Non issue with a current survey

We went with Foremost on our 1966 Hatteras 41TC. Reasonable premiums, no hassles getting insurance. They were 1/4 the price as BoatUS.

Do you have contact information for Foremost? Witha fresh survey in hand, I'd like to ask them for a quote. Thank you.

Are you certain that your insurance was provided by Foremost? I filled out a quote form on line today, and called them to follow up on it when they opened their phone lines. The fellow I spoke with stated that they do not insure any boat larger than 27 feet or over 11 years in age. This means, in other words, that no Hatteras yacht ever built would be a candidate for insurance with Foremost. Is it possible you have them confused with another insurer? Many independent insurance agents handle more than one insurer.

In any case, my boat is definitely not a boat they would insure. I also asked them about regional differences in policies about who they insure, and he advised me that they are a national company and the same rules apply everywhere.

Dan, what we need is an insurance company that only insured boats on the West coast sows don’t have to be included in the hurricane statistics. I can’t imagine that there are a very high percentage of claims on the west coast. Heck in San Diego I doubt that more than 20 per cent of the boats even leave the dock.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I do have Foremost. Have had them for 7 + years.I had Progressive through a local insurance agent for our old 1980 28' Chris Craft. Progressive told me they wouldn't insure anything over 36', even though I have friends who have 40+ foot boats insured with Progressive.My agent didn't want to lose my business because all of my toys are insured though him.He ended up with a reasonable quote with Foremost.My agent is McFatter Insurance Agency in Lake Charles, La. His name is Max McFatter III.(337) 433-1695Tell Max that Raymond Duhon sent you. I am probably the only customer that goes into his office to pay personally instead of online.
    Last edited by Tricia II; 02-10-2023 at 10:53 AM.

Thank you. I called them, but they can't write a boat in MD, besides which they said I had a good rate as is. Nice folks, though- wish I could have done business with them.