Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Insurance ??? (1983, 48MY)

Chub declined to renew.
    "Too old"
    Never mind condition (which I think is pretty darn good...)

Who has been getting coverage?
    (We're in SF, CALIF)

Re: Insurance ??? (1983, 48MY)

I just swapped my 55C for a 1983 46C. Interestingly State Farm insured the 46. They made me get a current survey but agreed to an in water survey.

The company below has helped me with my insurance in the past and has been good. Their honesty cost them the insurance on the 46C. State Farm had the insurance on the 46 already. They said they would change to me. After getting the payment they then demanded a survey. W3 told me up front I would need a survey. Had I known SF was going to pull this I would have stayed with W3. When I renew I will be going back to them if they will have me back

http://marineins.com/

I've heard good things about https://www.charterlakes.com/

H
    agerty will even take on project boats, like my Roamer, but they're expensive. https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/boat-insurance/

With a current survey I have markets that will write our older vessels

Will they write in florida? Looking for someone to insure 56-61 mid 80's Hatteras. Been looking since Ian took my last boat. Heard its difficult down here especially after you crack 55 ft.

I can get Florida done with a good survey and a proper Hurricane plan

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    I can get Florida done with a good survey and a proper Hurricane plan
    Ok. Will let you know when we get accepted offer. By proper hurricane plan I am assuming you dont mean leaving the state. Traditionally we write up a hurricane plan to remain in place, add additional lines, remove all canvas, lower any structures that have that capability, increase fendering etc. We have also had haul requirements before and had to contract with yard, but it is only good in home cruising ground.

I guess I was thinking a Hurricane plan is a contractual agreement to haul out and prep. Or moving the boat to a more secure location during specific times? My insurance is very affordable, well under 1% but I can't go below 32nd parallel. In the coming years I had hoped to add coverage for Florida Nov-March. Is my thinking flawed?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Eddieclemons Nov-March shouldn’t be an issue since it’s past hurricane season. You will need 12 month navigation and they will have a clause as to when you’re not allowed to be south

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    I guess I was thinking a Hurricane plan is a contractual agreement to haul out and prep. Or moving the boat to a more secure location during specific times? My insurance is very affordable, well under 1% but I can't go below 32nd parallel. In the coming years I had hoped to add coverage for Florida Nov-March. Is my thinking flawed?
    My insurance is with ACE/CHUBB, and like yours, for non-tidal water. When I head further south, they sell me a rider for Coastal waters very reasonably... last time I had to be back in non-tidal waters by June 1st. And the rider was $500 bucks.