Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

LCD Replacements, Simrad and FloScan

The LCD screens on both my upper and lower Simrad autopilots had darkened to unreadability even though I had always placed the stock Simrad white plastic covers on them while stored. Other than that they worked fine. Extensive internet searching located Dan Gerhardt, 35 Michael Way, in the famous port of Durango, CO 81301. www.c250mydurango.net

FloScans--Last year I noticed the displays were suddenly very difficult to read without turning on the instrument lights. Apparently the Florida sun had degraded them as it had never occurred to me to cover them. I sent them to Performance Design, 586 Whittington Place, Lake Mary FL 32746 for repair.

All have been returned and reinstalled. Boat still in storage so no running experience on them, but I am told they turned on and look like new. Each unit repair was about $300, return shipping included. Beats buying new ones!
    Last edited by Fanfare; 12-08-2022 at 04:26 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Re: LCD Replacements, Simrad and FloScan

Can you give me some contact information

I added (above) an email contact for Simrad autopilot but for FloScans I only have an address. Write?
    Last edited by Fanfare; 12-08-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

These days everything is so modular that with a few tools and a bit of patience, home repairs are not a big deal. If you are adventuresome enough to dig into a piece of electronics, generally the panel is easy to replace. I did this on my very usable but older Standard Horizon with the 10" screen. With a little careful disassembly you will find that there are very few manufacturers of these panels. Standard Horizon used a Sony panel in my unit. Using the label on the back of the panel I was able to track down a replacement panel for $50. Yes, had to wait for it to come from Hong Kong-remember, this is not a current model so it came from the surplus market, but for a winter project vs. buying a whole new unit, worth it. It's as bright as the day it was made.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391