Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

U-Line icemaker constantly running

Hi,
    I have a traditional U-line ice-maker ( 2007) that seems to be constantly running ( At least the loud fan is on all the time). Has anyone had a fix for this or is this normal behavior?
    ( It making ice perfectly)
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

Re: U-Line icemaker constantly running

The only fix for Uline I ever respected was throwing them over the side. Make sure your ice is clean BTW. We had one that eroded the coating in the icemaker and it wound up in the ice.
    Regards
    Dan

Usually the fan and compressor cycles at the same time.
    The thermostatic switch is a bit crude and does fail.

There is a heat exchanger behind the lower cover. Could be clogged with dust.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Best thing I ever did with my U-Line was replace it with a GE Monogram nugget ice maker (like the ice from chick-fil-a). Better ice and I do NOT have to defrost once a month like I did with the U-Line.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

6. Re: U-Line icemaker constantly running

I bet I’ve bought at least 20 of these POS over the years after surveys to make my clients happy, because they were always broken. The prices just went up up up, as the quality went down. I had a wholesale account, and even then they were stupidly expensive, but what was worse was lugging the new ones to the boat, opening the box, only to discover parts were missing on supposedly brand new units. Then of course, they never have any others in stock, so I have driven as far as Cocoa Beach to buy the only one available in all of south Florida. I tried to convince people to let me just buy them one of those countertop units they sell at Walmart, and to take a $1,000 cash, but nope everyone wanted ice cubes made from the totally questionable water in their tanks.
    It should be illegal to sellsuch planned obsolescence as icemakers and 110/12v refrigerators-all junk.

OK, Just like your fridge, the icemaker will run as long as it has to, to keep up with the outside temperature. It will also be slower to make ice if you are feeding it hot water from your dock hose. Once the weather cools down (below 50 or so) it might cycle off during the night when there's no constant opening of the door. This is just the nature of the beast. About that plastic showing up in the ice... The good news is, refurbishing an older one that's crapped out is no big deal. The ice maker unit is available for around $50., and just requires shutting the water off, pulling the unit out, unbolting the old one and bolting in the new one. This technology hasn't changed (not broken-don't fix) since the '60's and is currently still used. I've attached a picture of the ice maker module that I removed shortly after we bought the boat. Yuch! would not want to have ice from that. Also is the before/after, with a new coat of paint throughout and a good cleaning-and i reversed the door opening.
    Attached Images
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391