Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Wards Power Boost Transformer

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    If in the future anyone is looking for one, I have two very lightly used ones in my garage in MI I bought them when I had my 70 Sport Deck in a marina in FL that had the older wiring in it at the time. Work great just no need for them anymore. Sorry Eric, I didn't know you were looking for one!
    North Shore One….I realize this is an old thread but did you sell your boost transformers?I just changed marinas and found out the hard way that they are only serving up 208.Thanks, Troy
    M/V Too Blue Minds
    1981 61MY extended to 72CPMY
    12V-71TI at 650
    Hull #323

Quote Originally Posted by TroyLucas View Post
    North Shore One….I realize this is an old thread but did you sell your boost transformers?I just changed marinas and found out the hard way that they are only serving up 208.Thanks, Troy
    Are you having issues on 208Vac?
    Please read my post #12 on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    If in the future anyone is looking for one, I have two very lightly used ones in my garage in MI I bought them when I had my 70 Sport Deck in a marina in FL that had the older wiring in it at the time. Work great just no need for them anymore. Sorry Eric, I didn't know you were looking for one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Are you having issues on 208Vac?Please read my post #12 on this thread.
    Yes, I have read all 20 posts here and a few other threads on here as well on this subject.I’ve just been having issues with "brown power" for what I’m used to. This is our first time plugging into a dock with 208. We are live aboards in the PNW and good power is a must to stay warm and live at the same time.Let’s just say for the first few days I only had 104v, 105v and 198v at my pedestal. After the electricians switched out A & C legs I now have 105v, 107v and 213v. Things are a tad better. But battery chargers (3) will only go to 80% of charge, and the convenience factors of the microwave, coffee pot, hot water tank and general heating take noticeably longer to get the same job done. The marina is of course not going to change out three phase for single phase to the whole dock and they also don’t seem to be keen on buying an outdoor booster to strap to my pedestal.Therefore I was thinking if I upgraded one of my two transformers to a boosted model I might be able to have the best of both worlds…minus the small loss in amperage.Am I going about this all wrong?
    M/V Too Blue Minds
    1981 61MY extended to 72CPMY
    12V-71TI at 650
    Hull #323

I think these have sold, Post #16.

Lots of kids here luv these boost transformers.
    Seems to fix a lot of issues for them.

I've been called worse than difficult but I'm not sold on the benefits of boosting a 208Vac line to cover up boat problems. Long term band-aids just does not work for me.

208 is the wave of the future and will be involved with our lives more and more.
    This may require extra research on your part and possibly new equipment on your boat.

Maybe start with accurate volt/current gauges/meters.
    Read the tags and manuals on everything. Do they really need 230Voc or 200V?
    Familiarize your self well with W=VxA.
    If/When you boost your transformer, is there enough current to feed it?

My 30+ year old Crown chargers don't make 40 amps to the batteries anymore but they still charge to the level voltage. If I'm drawing more than the charger can deliver, there is another problem.

If your ole microwave and coffee maker take a few extra seconds,, So?/
    You in a hurry? To go out in the cold??

If these are working per spec, not overheating when trying to make their wattage, IMO, relax.

Think of it this way, the water heater will last longer

Yea, I know I'll probably get blasted on my comments but my job is complete if you at least think about this instead of rushing out and purchasing a big band-aid.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-05-2023 at 04:22 AM.

We ran into the same problem at our last two home marinas. The only issue we have is when we run most or all at the same time, a couple of the AC units will flash an AC code and not run. Funny, it’s when we need them for heating in the early and late part of the season.

Ralph are you saying my SXM controllers allow programming a lower voltage limit to allow running on 208?
    We bought a Wards booster from a member and it works perfectly but we leave it behind when we travel. Sky sent me the instructions on how to wire our transformers for boost but I was too intimidated to do it myself.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Ralph are you saying my SXM controllers allow programming a lower voltage limit to allow running on 208?
    Yes, the manual's programing section explains all of the set-up functions and LOW ACv off set.

Also, AC compressors are under just a bit higher load in heat mode.
    Always at the wrong time they may trip.
    Over-charged AC systems will show HI PS errors more in the winter when the freon is un-naturally reversed thru the system.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-05-2023 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyLucas View Post
    Yes, I have read all 20 posts here and a few other threads on here as well on this subject.I’ve just been having issues with "brown power" for what I’m used to. This is our first time plugging into a dock with 208. We are live aboards in the PNW and good power is a must to stay warm and live at the same time.Let’s just say for the first few days I only had 104v, 105v and 198v at my pedestal. After the electricians switched out A & C legs I now have 105v, 107v and 213v. Things are a tad better. But battery chargers (3) will only go to 80% of charge, and the convenience factors of the microwave, coffee pot, hot water tank and general heating take noticeably longer to get the same job done. The marina is of course not going to change out three phase for single phase to the whole dock and they also don’t seem to be keen on buying an outdoor booster to strap to my pedestal.Therefore I was thinking if I upgraded one of my two transformers to a boosted model I might be able to have the best of both worlds…minus the small loss in amperage.Am I going about this all wrong?
    Troy,
    This is common and easily remedied. Give me a call and I'll walk you through adding the boost switches to your current transformers. I've converted several of them. No need to spend big bucks on new equipment when you already have what you need.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI