Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wards Power Boost Transformer

This device will boost shore power by 10% if you’re at an older marina that doesn’t have 240V 50 amp service. Had an issue while staying at an older marina that had residential 220V which was 208V .This will burn up your AC compressors if not addressed. Also useful in some of the Bahamas where shore power is not always great. Think they cost around $1700.00 new. Asking $500.00 plus shipping or local pick up Flagler Beach FL. Pretty heavy so I would expect shipping to be pretty hefty cost.
    Attached Images

Re: Wards Power Boost Transformer

Timing is everything. I just bought one of these from Ward's in June. It seems to me that the price was more like $2,700.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Timing is everything. I just bought one of these from Ward's in June. It seems to me that the price was more like $2,700.
    $2,567.21 to be exact.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Interesting. At my marina I get 180 Volts. Not good. I might be interested - but I also have to check actual voltage, my meters might just be off.

How big is that thing? Do you strap in onto a dock post or mount it in your boat?

Is the boost adjustable on it with different taps on the transformer or is it just fixed at 10%?

Also were are you located?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 12-04-2022 at 04:30 PM.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

The device is about the size of a shoe box maybe a little longer. It’s designed to be portable but it is rather heavy. I don’t think it can regulate anything. The way it was explained to me, and I’m no authority, two kinds of 220 Volt service. Residential 220V and commercial 220 V. 220 residential is actually 208 volts commercial 220 is 240 volt. Most marinas when I would plug in would show 240v on my panel but occasionally older marinas that have not had power upgraded to commercial 220 would show 208v . If your showing 208v and run your AC units you risk burning up the compressors. This device when plugged in line from shore power to the boat will boost the incoming voltage to allow you to run your AC system without hurting the compressors.
    Let me repeat that I’m not a AC power expert but this is what was explained to me.
    Hope this helps.

In North America, the terms 220V, 230V, and 240V all refer to the same system voltage level. However, 208V refers to a different system voltage level. In North America, the utility companies are required to deliver split phase 240VAC for residential use. That is two 120VAC (+/- 5 %) legs.

You had it backwards but it was a good explanation
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I used to see these used in the Bahamas back in the day. It’s a fixed boost so if you do have correct voltage your going to be over voltage by whatever the boost is set for.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

o.k. thank you.
    I won't be able to see what I have going on until spring.
    Don't hold it for me obviously.
    Thanks!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I'm thinking if Eric needs one, maybe I should buy it.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

You don't need it if you already have isolation transformers because you can add a switch to your transformer to do this same function.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI