Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Sales tax question

I'm currently looking at a boat that is in Florida, it is a documented boat so no state registration numbers. I believe that the document does not carry over to a new owner so what are the options. Also I am in Canada, I'm wondering if I can register it here and pay my provincial sales tax or Florida sales tax and keep it a U.S. vessel. Are there any fellow Canadians here that have bought a southern boat but not moved it to Canada. My last Hatteras was brought into Canada by the previous owner and registered here.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Sales tax question

I don't know anything about many of the things that you asked, but...

We bought a documented vessel and transferred the documentation to our names.

So, kept the same #, and shows a chain of ownership, and a chain of different names for the boat.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Walt....I've purchased a number of boats that I registered in Canada and purchased in Florida.
    The process is very easy. The forms and info for registration in Canada are online.

When purchasing in Florida, you get the broker to get you a 90/120 day extension for sales tax.. Within that time you undertake to remove the vessel from Florida and provide proof of same.
    A foreign registered vessel is exempt from Florida sales tax subject to residency rules.

AFAIK…

A non us citizen can not document a vessel so you would have to cancel the documentation with the USCG (an easy process) and register the boat either in Canada or in Florida if you intend on using the boat there. Non citizens can register boats with the state and in some cases must depending on how long the boat spends there

A non florida resident can register a boat in Florida without paying sales tax under certain conditions. Your best bet is to talk to a documentation agent, there are many in south Florida and they handle these issues all the time.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Keeping the documentation is not a worry, I would like to change any boat name to my liking. Thanks, I'll start looking into these suggestions. I would be in no hurry to run it back to Canada, the season is too short here!

Walt Hoover

This will take more research but it looks as if I register the boat with transport Canada there will be no taxes as long as it stays in U.S waters. If the time comes that I want to bring it home then I would pay sales tax or some sort of import fees. There would be no duty as the boat is made in the U.S. Thanks to all with the advice.

Walt Hoover

Walt....as stated, I have dealt with this process a few times. I can tell you that when I entered Canada with my Cdn registered boat that I purchased in Florida, I went to the Customs office and spoke to the Supt about GST etc. He told me that as far as they were concerned, it was a Canadian vessel....end of story; no taxes. I emphasize.....I was Canadian registered BEFORE entering Canadian waters.

Yes I have had the same sort of experience. The first time I bought a boat the customs office had no interest in collecting tax when I changed the registration. When I bought my Hatteras it was two years before I received a letter regarding paying tax, I had to go to the federal office to pay it.

Walt Hoover