Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1981 43c lifting strakes or larger trim tabs?

Our 43c is pretty stern heavy and I am trying to find the best way to flatten out the ride and so I don’t have to run with my tabs all the way down. With close to 500 gal of diesel and other things that have been added to the aft of the boat, she rides pretty bow high. Both fuel tanks are under the cockpit floor Thoughts on lifting strakes? Installing tabs that go beyond the transom of the boat for more surface area? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.

Re: 1981 43c lifting strakes or larger trim tabs?

What horsepower are your current engines?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

6V92’s TT’s 525hp I believe.

What else in in the stern? Hibachi? Camping equipment? Spares? Could it be time for a diet?

If you heavy into fishing, I would warn not to move the tabs back past the transom. You could experiment with bolting on some sheet metal and go wider.

I did make deeper tabs for out Bert. We were live-aboard and had everything on board, It did help but was not the answer.
    We moved off recently, boat went on a diet. Nice to get that performance back.

Questions;
    Are you making RPM plus a few?

Have you considered those fancy props that offer lift?
    I have always questioned those props but some folk report great things.

Thanks Captain Ralph. We have a built in grill, combo washer/dryer, and both fuel tanks all in the cockpit. Making and keeping RPM’s just fine. Tops out around 2250-2275 RPM’s at 20-21knots. Not bad for a heavy old gal. I typically like to run with around 3/4 tank of fuel to help distribute the weight.