Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alcatraz rocks.... Is this a Hat?

Looks like someone screwed up. At least she's not taking on water.

Is this a Hat?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boat-hits-alcatraz-rocks-stranding-144156638.html

Re: Alcatraz rocks.... Is this a Hat?

Sadly yes. 53 Yacht Fish
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Well, the important issue, the 3 dogs are safe.
    The SFBs that jeopardized the puppies should be locked up, on that island.

I listen to the news on this, and apparently the boat did not sink. The owner is working with the Coast Guard on getting into a marina to be hauled out. Nothing listed in the article regarding why he was so close to Alcatraz. There are no rocks that he could hit unless you actually hit the island.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Why were they rescued by helicopter when there is a perfectly good tender tied to transom in that photo? What a waste of resources if that's the case.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Interesting photo, green/red buoy in the background. Maybe the camera but does not look to far.

Oh, the helo ride better be billable.

Wonder if the helo team needed a mission for currency.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I listen to the news on this, and apparently the boat did not sink. The owner is working with the Coast Guard on getting into a marina to be hauled out. Nothing listed in the article regarding why he was so close to Alcatraz. There are no rocks that he could hit unless you actually hit the island.
    This was a Delta boat for many years. Willow Berm. New owner this year. There in fact is a rock on the NW corner of Alcatraz Island. It’s dry at low tide. Not the first casualty. I suspect he grounded during the ebb and wasn’t able to get her free until the next high cycle.”

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Why were they rescued by helicopter when there is a perfectly good tender tied to transom in that photo? What a waste of resources if that's the case.
    I expect it related to the current. SF Bay can be particularly miserable during an ebb once the daily wind starts blowing through the slot, (the opening to the Bay spanned by the GG Bridge). It makes for very difficult small boat conditions.

Little Alcatraz is a well known (to most, I guess) and marked rock outcropping. This isn’t the first boat to rest upon those rocks. Inexperienced operator not looking at a chart, plotter, or buoy. Expensive lesson.