Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My introduction

My introduction

Hi All;
    I joined these forums about 6 weeks ago but have not posted yet. Mainly because of going through the purchase process and getting to know my boat before I ask questions.
    I bought a 1977 Hatteras 42 LRC MK1. I knew it was the boat I wanted 25 years ago but now retired. The only change from then to now has been the change from the MK2 (Island Queen bed and aft cabin deck) to the MK1 (Menopause layout twin beds and Geriatric walk around decks) A true grandma and grandpa boat.
    I am no stranger to boats having built 4 of them and wanted a boat that needed some TLC. I bought this boat and knew what I was getting into and there have been no surprises. The boat is actually in better shape than I thought going in.
    This boat has about 1,300 hours since new with little usage in the last 38 years. For the last 20 years the boat has been owned by a knowledgeable boater and under cover, in fresh water. The systems are quite dated but surprisingly nearly everything works. Of course, there are the time sensitive items like rubber parts and fluid changes that need addressing but overall, the boat is very usable as is.
    I will definitely be asking some questions that the previous owner cannot answer as there are systems on board that he has never used, and those systems are the ones he doesn't seem to have manuals for.
    I have no intention of making a cream puff out of this boat. I want to know the systems and have them very operational even if they are dated. The older they are, the more likely I am to be able to fix them anyway.
    My wife and I want to start cruising with the boat this spring. In the meantime, it's a lot of work in my future.

Re: My introduction

Welcome aboard, this is the place for 99.9% of your answers
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

Welcome
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Welcome to the club Pierre. Nothing like a well built older boat. Especially a Hatteras. I've run an 86 45C for the past two seasons after having a 79 43C for nearly 20 years. My daughter and son in law just bought a '79 37C. Some say insanity is hereditary. I say I raised her right. Either way, you're in the right place here. Where are you and the boat located?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I am located SW of Cleveland Ohio and the boat in located across the lake from New Orleans. It's a hell of a commute.

Welcome aboard!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Congrats on the new Hat. You are definately in the right place to ask questions and receive great help.