Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

white smoke on a cold day during 8V71 Detroit diesel engine start

Need to install block heaters on my Detroit 8V71 diesels.
    Any help with where to install them and what heater elements to use will be greatly appreciated
    Wit- 58' Yachtfisher.

Re: white smoke on a cold day during 8V71 Detroit diesel engine start

Google Kim HotStarts...

Thanks Jim
    Problem solved!

I don't know if that is the same company as Hotstart.com?
    anyways, they seem pretty helpful, I'm trying to upgrade mine now.
    I believe these two spots is one option on where to hook them in.
    One is a heater, the other a temperature sensor.
    I don't know if I like this setup as the sensor is very close to the heater, and I think I have read it should be on the opposite side of the motor.
    Unless you are not using temp controlled units, then it probably doesn't have a sensor and that would be irrelevant.

This is where mine is currently hooked in.
    20221110_152803.jpg
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

I do building controls so have access to many sensors and controllers. This winter as part of my engine room upgrade I am going to add temp sensors and control to block heater circuits to keep the engines set at 90 degrees. Perfect temp for starting but not too warm. Hot temp control is for generators that need to start and switch to full load right away.

I'll post what I come up with. Will keep it very simple. Could come in handy for boats up north in the winter. If power goes out better to start with a block at 90 degrees than in the 30's or 40's. Thermal mass will give at least more time to get to the boat and take care of it.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    I don't know if I like this setup as the sensor is very close to the heater, and I think I have read it should be on the opposite side of the motor.
    This is where mine is currently hooked in.
    I do question that installation. Don't think the rest of your engine ever gets any heat.
    On our 12V71TI Detroits, the heater is down near the oil coolers and the thermostat is on the far water manifold,, THE other side of the engine.

I know your picture is a Detroit, just can not recognize the model. ??
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-07-2022 at 06:54 PM.

I use Wolverine oil pan heaters on my Cummins diesels. So far, so good.

OK, I am currently getting ready to replace my block heaters on my 8V71N's. I've ordered two of these: Zeostart 3500043 engine block heaters from Amazon. The ones that I am replacing are located in the blocks, just above the alternators, on the right (facing) side of the blocks. I do have a question; how much coolant do I need to drain out to expose the heaters? Thanks.
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391

Quote Originally Posted by RJM View Post
    OK, I am currently getting ready to replace my block heaters on my 8V71N's. I've ordered two of these: Zeostart 3500043 engine block heaters from Amazon. The ones that I am replacing are located in the blocks, just above the alternators, on the right (facing) side of the blocks. I do have a question; how much coolant do I need to drain out to expose the heaters? Thanks.
    I am familiar with that install. Before you get into it, does your alternator mounting bracket allow access to that block plug? Many do not.
    The bracket usually covers that plug.
    The more common plug to use is on the other side, elbow from the oil cooler to the block. Nice plug there.

When installing and replacing my heaters, believe it or not, very little comes out. Pending how fast you are,, a pint maybe..
    Do not open your expansion tank cap.

IMO not worth draining the system.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 12-08-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I am familiar with that install. Before you get into it, does your alternator mounting bracket allow access to that block plug? Many do not.
    The bracket usually covers that plug.
    The more common plug to use is on the other side, elbow from the oil cooler to the block. Nice plug there.

When installing and replacing my heaters, believe it or not, very little comes out. Pending how fast you are,, a pint maybe..
    Do not open your expansion tank cap.

IMO not worth draining the system.
    Thanks for the tip about not opening the expansion tank. That's good that there's not much loss. I have to replace both, which have given up the ghost. Here's a picture of the block heater that I am going to replace. I don't think that I am going to have a problem getting a wrench on it, Worse case, I remove the belts for access.
    Attached Images
    Robert Moore
    Lagniappe
    '73 53' Hatteras Classic
    Hull 391