Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do we need to change gas Tanks in older Hats?

My 65 hatteras has fiberglass tanks - do I need to replace them because of the E10 Gasoline Issues? Any ideas on compatibility?

Re: Do we need to change gas Tanks in older Hats?

although at first their was some confusion on what was happening to the older hatt tanks it seems that there is enough evidence to say that your tanks will start to disolve with 10% ethanol. i am in florida and do not have that issue yet but im sure that 10% ethanol will come here too someday. when that happens i will either change out my old tank for a new one or do a diesel conversion.

What a great opportunity to justify a pair of modern diesels. Subtract the cost of new gas tanks from the cost and it becomes very attractive...

Walt.....

What is the cutoff point on the so called "old Hats". Ours is a 1986 convertable. Sure diesels are an answer, but tyhe modern lightweight diesels don't last any longer than gas engines and they cost lots more to ovberhaul. Even a simple oil change requires two $25.00 filters and 4 gallons of oil for EACH engine. Our gas engines are smooth, quiet, and yes, only need one $4.00 filter and 7 quarts of oil for each engine. Diesel fuel systems are not trouble free either. I still want to know exactly when the resin formula changed???

In an earlier post about this I pasted a copy of an email I got from Sam's and they said my 1985 Hat was subject to these issues. I will try to find it and post it again.

Well do a search on Ethanol here there has been a great amount covered on this.
    Including my opinion that all tanks are no good since I know of boat built in the last couple of years that are N.G.
    I know what Hatteras and Boat U.S say but I feel they have not fully done there home work. Time will tell hope I am wrong for the sake of a lot of you out there.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I contacted a manufacturer of in ground fiber glass tanks regarding this issue and here is their reply.

Steve,

What type of fiberglass fuel tanks are you asking about? If this is for
    underground gasoline storage tanks, Aropol Q7022 resin has been approved by
    UL under UL standard 1316 for use with all fuels. This only applies to
    underground fuel storage tanks. If you are asking about any other type of
    fuel storage tank, either e-mail or call me and we can talk about what
    resin can be used and what code it needs to meet.

Mike Stevens
    Corrosion Technical Service Group
    Ashland Specialty Chemical Company
    Phone 614 790-3483
    Fax (614) 790-6157
    mgstevens@ashland.com

I also looked up the web site for their supplier www.hetron.com.
    THe Aropol q7022 resin would not be suitable for marine fueltanks but they have other resins that would be, others are higher temp rated for fire resistance.

THe Aropol q7022 resin would not be suitable for marine fueltanks but they have other resins that would be,
    So other resin my question is what are the other's and if you find out, when were they made because many of these came out in the last couple of years! So how can a tank made in let say 1990 be good????
    It seems lot's of the boat builders are not giving specific answers on the type of resin used they just say it SHOULD be OK.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

akin;

after going thru what i did last year and watching the E10 puzzle piece together this year, i did. if you are putting E10 in your tanks, imho, it is just a matter of time before BAD things will happen.

jim
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

we also have a 1977 38 aft cabin, we have the same problem we have to rebuild both top of the engines and replace boty tanks, we live in ill