Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: The horizontally challenged person who self ID as a female hasn’t sung yet

At least I won’t have to water the grass
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Wow. Is that the highest you’ve seen it in all those years? Amazing about the sea wall too.
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

We have fish swimming over our grass.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Wow. Is that the highest you’ve seen it in all those years? Amazing about the sea wall too.
    The house was destroyed in 2004 Frances. Winds tore the roof off early in the storm. The surge got just barely into the first floor which is 6’ above normal tide levels. My outboard pilings are 6’ above the finished dock I had added 4x6 extensions the boat was right up to the top of the extensions. We ended up demoing the house and rebuilt to the new hurricane code standards. We went above and beyond code. All the hurricanes straps are stainless as are all nails and anchors.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Wouldn't this be a vertically challenged person?
    I think it's Horizontally Gifted.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    The house was destroyed in 2004 Frances. Winds tore the roof off early in the storm. The surge got just barely into the first floor which is 6’ above normal tide levels. My outboard pilings are 6’ above the finished dock I had added 4x6 extensions the boat was right up to the top of the extensions. We ended up demoing the house and rebuilt to the new hurricane code standards. We went above and beyond code. All the hurricanes straps are stainless as are all nails and anchors.
    We tore down an old house and built higher way beyond code. Piling’s, massive structural garage level floor, poured concrete walls(ICF), and even first living floor is a pored concrete system. Top floor wood truss double strapped. And much more. County took forever to approve our plans because they had no idea what ICF was.

Another joke was near the end they suddenly said our out swing impact glass door did not meet code. Had to swing in (what, weaker is better??) because someone could trip walking out due to the step down at the door which is 5’ from 3 steps down. They were incorrectly interpreting a door at the end of a corridor (think commercial). Had to go pay for and apply for a variance! WTF? I argued, we won, but still had to pay. A month later they fixed the residential code.

Hope yours went better.
    Last edited by madhatter1; 11-12-2022 at 08:39 PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Same kind of crap. 17,000+ in engineering costs and over a year to get the permit. It was 4 years before we were back in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    We tore down an old house and built higher way beyond code. Piling’s, massive structural garage level floor, poured concrete walls(ICF), and even first living floor is a pored concrete system. Top floor wood truss double strapped. And much more. County took forever to approve our plans because they had no idea what ICF was.

Another joke was near the end they suddenly said our out swing impact glass door did not meet code. Had to swing in (what, weaker is better??) because someone could trip walking out due to the step down at the door which is 5’ from 3 steps down. They were incorrectly interpreting a door at the end of a corridor (think commercial). Had to go pay for and apply for a variance! WTF? I argued, we won, but still had to pay. A month later they fixed the residential code.

Hope yours went better.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I learned what #7’s are. I own many feet of #7. And quite a bit of #5 below grade.😎
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    I learned what #7’s are. I own many feet of #7. And quite a bit of #5 below grade.
    The new house sits on 18” pad double mesh rebar bigger around than my thumb and that sits on 25 18” 20’ deep caissons. The final fight with the building department was about overturning moment on the pad. It’s just ridiculous. Fortunately there was an increased cost of compliance clause in the insurance policy and they paid another 200k for the pad.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976