Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

about to start old engines.. any tips?

Purchased a 1965 H41 DC. Got 2 Chrysler 426 gas engines. The boat has been sitting for the last 6 years. I am working on bringing the boat back to life.

Got new batteries, Changed the spark plugs and wires. Changed the oil,
    (Working on having the old fuel sucked out and replaced) this week. Engine does turn with a wrench...

Before I push the start buttons, I wanted to get some tips from anyone who has been in my spot. Any suggestions? warnings?
    Thanks,
    Akin

2. Re: about to start old engines.. any tips?

Didn't I answer this one earlier? I thought so..... if it disappeared, let me know and I'll repost....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: about to start old engines.. any tips?

Assuming all the other routine stuff has been done - new points/condensor in distributer if it's an original, non-electronic model, various ancilliaries OK - water pump, carb, etc, etc, etc.

If you haven't already done this - Remove all the spark plugs. Squirt a couple teaspoons of Marvel Mystery Oil into each spark plug hole, try to "aim" it at high side of the cylinder wall. Leave the spark plugs out. Let this "set" for a few hours, then turn the engine by hand through a couple of revolutions. If you've already done this with some other oil - don't bother redoing it with MMO - but it's the best stuff around for this purpose.

Obtain a oil pump priming tool from a local speed shop. It is just a shaft that you can mount on elec drill that, after removing the distributer , will couple with the oil pump drive shaft.

Remove the distributer cap (with wires attached - make sure you keep all the wires properly marked since you also have the spark plugs out at this time)) and set aside. Note the position of the distributer base in relation to the engine (make a mark on both) AND the position of the rotor in the distributer (make a mark on the distributer where the rotor is pointing. Remove the distributer.

Use the shaft/drill to pre-oil the engine. Do this for at least a minute. The torque required to to this will increase dramatically after a couple of seconds as the pump picks up the oil. Then spin the engine by hand through several rotations.

Reinstall the distributer, using the marks to ensure it/rotor is back where it was.

Using a remote starter switch, spin the engine with the starter for 5-10 seconds. Do not use the ignition start switch - you don't want the spark coil to be energized.

Reinstall the plugs and distributer cap and fire her up! Check/set the timing with a timing light.

The Mopar 426 (Max Wedge, I assume - never heard of a hemi being used on a production boat) was a great Super Stock engine; a killer on the drag strip in the early/mid 60's.

Karl,

You did answer it, it's in the "Parts Wanted and For Sale" forum. Apparently some moderator didn't move it to "General Discussion".

P.S. While you're fixing that, there's a thread in "Feedback" that doesn't belong there either. Very sloppy guys.
    Last edited by Avenger; 07-06-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Karl,
    You did reply, but my message was someohow showing on parts wanted, and I wanted to re-post it to general discussion to see if anyone else had ideas as well. Thank you for your reply and I'll let you know how it turns out...

6. Re: about to start old engines.. any tips?

Aha! Now I get it I thought I answered that one.....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker